Explorer 12-14 Photos Casa de Campo port Altos de Chavon

sea-cruise

PLEASE NOTE THAT I'M POSTING THESE PHOTOS HERE BECAUSE MANY ARE ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS VILLAGE & PORT. I'VE POSTED THESE ON THE "PORTS" BOARD AS WELL BUT QUESTIONS WERE STILL BEING ASKED HERE. HOPE THIS INFO HELPS:

Altos de Chavon village (about 20-25 minute shuttle from port at $7.00 round trip):

CHURCH...Priest holds 4 masses per day here:

la_rom21.jpg

Some of the photos aren't showing up so I'll quit here, but I hope this gives you an idea of the Altos de Chavon area. This village is small so you can see it in about an hour. It's carved from coral and rock. Happy cruising.

The pictures were great! Thanks a lot.

Sea-cruise. The pictures were great. Did you do any tours in Casa De Campo/ We were thinking about the Country Safari Adventurs with a visit to the sugar cane plantation and cigar factory. What do you think? If you don't take a tour can you just walk around once you get off the ship? We enjoy taking tours since we are not beach goers.

Any tips on any other tours, shopping, etc that you took while on the cruise?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

...What kind of camera did you use?

I love that question!!!:D

"Great book Mr. Hemmingway...you must have a really nice typewriter!"

"Mr. Picasso, where can I buy a brush that paints like that?"

LOL!

No offense meant...it just tickles me!

Dave

Some of the photos aren't showing up so I'll quit here, but I hope this gives you an idea of the Altos de Chavon area. This village is small so you can see it in about an hour. It's carved from coral and rock. Happy cruising.

Thanks Mary. These are wonderful. we didn't get off the ship as the crew said it just wasn't worth it. We heard several people say there was nothing in town once you got there and if you looked at our compass for that day there was only one thing. This really looks interesting and maybe next time we will venture off to see this village.

Sea-cruise. The pictures were great. Did you do any tours in Casa De Campo/ We were thinking about the Country Safari Adventurs with a visit to the sugar cane plantation and cigar factory. What do you think? If you don't take a tour can you just walk around once you get off the ship? We enjoy taking tours since we are not beach goers.

Any tips on any other tours, shopping, etc that you took while on the cruise?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures. We didn't do any tours at Casa de Campo. We got off the ship and if you walk a few steps to the right after you go through the gate, you'll see a small tropical looking terminal building with a light green roof.

You can buy round trip tickets there to various places. The marina was 5.00 round trip and Altos de Chavon was 7.00 round trip. The shuttles run about every 1/2 hour or less, and they line up at the terminal. They take US cash.

We rode away from the pier area and past some fields, then made a right turn into Casa de Campo Resort, which covers a very large area. After riding for about 25 minutes we arrived at Altos de Chavon.

I'm sorry I can't help you with any tour information because we did this on our own.

If you go to the "Ports" board I think you might find a lot more information about excursions and other sites at Dominican Republic.

I remember that there is information there about the shopping. I believe there are shops at the "Marina".

I didn't see anything immediately near the ship. We were docked in the mouth of the river with the bow pointing upriver. I only saw the view from our Starboard balcony and that view was also of the terminal building and landscaped "park-like" area. I don't know what was on the Port side of the ship. There might have been a little store there, or buildings but we didn't see them. :)

Thanks Mary. These are wonderful. we didn't get off the ship as the crew said it just wasn't worth it. We heard several people say there was nothing in town once you got there and if you looked at our compass for that day there was only one thing. This really looks interesting and maybe next time we will venture off to see this village.

Cris, I think you would enjoy it. I know that another of our roll call members didn't, but it is very beautiful and I liked browsing in the buildings and little lanes.

They had a spectacular stageshow in gorgeous tropical costumes and we wandered over to the ampitheater and found out that it was a free show given periodically for cruise passengers. There were about 20 singers and dancers at a time onstage, and kept changing costumes.

Bring bottled water from the ship though....It does get hot out in the sun at the ampitheater. :)

Thanks for the pictures now I know what to look forward to. What kind of camera did you use?

I have an Olympus Camedia 3.8 megapixel with optical 3x zoom and seamless 12x zoom. I don't know much about cameras. I'm reading the front of it as I type this. Some of the pictures are mine and some are from the Altos website. I just put them here so that all of you will have an idea of what this area looks like before you go. :)

Archived