Can't decide; any suggestions?

Yin Yang

I can't pick between Blackbeard's Cay (aka Blue Lagoon; Salt Cay?) or Cable Beach. I know that the Cay sits out from Cable Beach. It will cost around $40 to do the Cay as an excursion, and I hear the food/drinks are pricey, pricey. Cable Beach will be $4 for a roundtrip bus ride. I'm sure the food/drinks here will not be cheap. Anyway...I keep reading that Blackbeard's Cay is a vision of paradise, and that the locals like to go there. Will the price be worth it? The hammocks also sound very awesome. I'm going to be in Nassau on a Wed. so I don't know if this will make a difference as far as crowds go. If anyone could give any suggestions on this, I would grately appreciate it. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Blackbeards Cay is NOT the same as Blue Lagoon (Salt Cay).
Blackbeards Cay is Balmoral Island, just off Cable Beach. It's shared with Sandals, and is really not a terrific spot for snorkeling from the beach. (Its also an overcrowded smallish island, but does offer an inexpensive Stingray adventure.

Blue Lagoon is a section of Salt Cay, just off the North East coast of Paradise Island. It's very commercialized, but it's part of a larger island and there's more to explore. Stingray City and Dolphin Encounter are also a part of this area.

Dear ScubaGirl, Please tell us which beach you can snorkel from. We are not pros, but we'd like to see some colorful fish from the beach. I appreciate your advice.

"Nothing should be more highly prized than the value of each day".... celebrating cruise #30 soon

Thanks, Scubagirrl, for your input. I've read in this message board and elsewere that the three references were all one in the same. It's very confusing to visitors with all of the names and misconceptions. I was hoping that someone familiar with the area would be able to clarify this for me. I now know to go with Cable Beach for a less expensive, (possibly) more satisfying day at the beach.

Sea-cruise - not much good beach snorkeling in and around nassau. Over snorkling, plus jet ski's, ski boats and other things have hurt the areas close to the beach. For good snorkeling, your best bet is to take a tour to any of the Sea Gardens, Anthol Island, Rose Island or the Pearl Island Snorkeling tour. Blue Lagoon Island is big enough to find some decent snorkeling from shore.

Yin Yang - Cable Beach is a very nice, clean long beach. Radisson, Wyndham and Nassau Beach are all in a row, and you are allowed to use the beaches, grab a bite to eat, have a drink and enjoy. Next to the Nassau Beach Hotel, you'll find a long stretch of beach to explore.

If you just want to hang out for the day.. it's fine. The water at Cable Beach is usually very calm. If you want waves, you'll need to go to Paradise Island's Cabbage Beach (aka Atlantis Beach).

To get to Cable Beach, take the #10 jitney (bus) from downtown near the docks. The cost is $1pp and you pay as you leave the jitney (exact fare please) Ask the driver to drop you at the Cable Beach Hotels, walk thru the entrance.. out the back door and enjoy. To return to the ship, just pick up the jitney from in front of your hotel. They run every couple of minutes until 6pm

If you MUST snorkel from the beach, there's an area at Radisson that has some colorful fish, and if you are at Atlantis Beach, and walk all the way west, over the breakwater towards Club Med and the lighthouse, you'll find fishes in and around the inner breakwater, but these areas are NOTHING compared to the sea gardens or any area that the boats take you to. The area on Paradise Island is quite a hike along the beach.

Dear Scubagirrl, THANK YOU for being so helpful! You have saved us a lot of grief and waste of time. Thanks to you, we'll have more time to enjoy our day at Nassau. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Now I wish I could find one local in Freeport who is willing to help others, like you are.

"Nothing should be more highly prized than the value of each day".... celebrating cruise #30 soon

We weren't interested in snorkeling; just looking for a good beach to hang out on. I have a young son, so the calm water is more of what I'm looking for. Scubagirrl, you've been a big help; thanks again! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For good snorkeling, your best bet is to take a tour to any of the Sea Gardens, Anthol Island, Rose Island or the Pearl Island Snorkeling tour.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which tour operator would you recommend for a snorkeling tour to one of these places? Thanks.

Next Cruise(s).......
Glory, Eastern 7/04
Miracle 2/05

Jubilee 6/02
Inspiration 7/03
Conquestadors! 1/04
Sensational be "Coz" 5/04

Archived