Inexpensive Fares to or from Germany

TenerifeSharon

For any of you needing inexpensive one-way fares to or from Europe, and specifically to Germany, have a look at http://www.ltu.com or http://www.condor.de (LTU and AirBerlin are now one company, and Condor belongs to Lufthansa). We live in Germany and have used both companies regularly for inexpensive one-way fares. You do not need to buy a round-trip ticket and, in fact, all their fares are booked as one-ways.

We have used LTU to fly from Duesseldorf (DUS) to Vancouver, New York, Los Angeles and Miami and will be using Condor in September from Frankfurt (FRA) to Anchorage. Depending on season and/or promotions, the flights can be as cheap as $200 one-way to New York or $400 to Los Angeles or Las Vegas. For the Condor flight to Anchorage we are paying $450 one-way. These are all non-stop flights. We are also using LTU to get from Bangkok to Duesseldorf at the end of our Diamond Princess cruise from Whittier-Bangkok ($435). These flights may be listed on http://www.kayak.com, but may not be included on most of the large online companies such as expedia etc.

Hope this may help someone. BTW, for those on transatlantics ending in Amsterdam, Duesseldorf is not very far (and the train connections there are excellent).

At least for winter travel, this is a better deal for flights originating in Germany. For travel at least through mid March (i.e. before Easter) I have seen fares from small cities in the midwest to Germany for well under $500 (I booked a fare from central MN to Frankfurt for $405 all-in about a month ago for travel the end of January. A similar fare could have been had to Munich as well.

But thanks for the heads up.

John

At least for winter travel, this is a better deal for flights originating in Germany. For travel at least through mid March (i.e. before Easter) I have seen fares from small cities in the midwest to Germany for well under $500 (I booked a fare from central MN to Frankfurt for $405 all-in about a month ago for travel the end of January. A similar fare could have been had to Munich as well.

But thanks for the heads up.

John

John, I've also had some great luck in "scheduled" fares from Germany. Lufthansa is opening a new routing form Duesseldorf to Newark (EWR) beginning in May. I got onto it at the very beginning, and was able to book tickets for €268 ($388) all-in round-trip. There are bargains out there -- it just takes our patience to find them.

John, I've also had some great luck in "scheduled" fares from Germany. Lufthansa is opening a new routing form Duesseldorf to Newark (EWR) beginning in May. I got onto it at the very beginning, and was able to book tickets for €268 ($388) all-in round-trip. There are bargains out there -- it just takes our patience to find them.

That is a great fare. Now if the dollar were a bit stronger than it is, imagine how much lower the dollar equivalent would be. I remember the days when the Euro and dollar were at par. Oh, those were the days for Americans.

John

And I've now lived in Europe (Germany and, more lately, Tenerife) for over 30 years and remember that I dreamed of the low fares from the U.S. to Europe for the first 20 of those years (and there were no bookable one-way fares then). Since all my working years in Germany were paid in DM or, more recently, Euros, those DMs didn't go very far for a lot of those years! Boy, what a turnaround!!

Archived