TAINO~ Can you snorkel from the beach?

sea-cruise

Going to Taino beach, (Freeport) Grand Bahama Island. Taking snorkel gear. Is there sealife or coral close to shore, or do we need to go out on a boat offshore? We're not pros, just looking to see some colorful fish. THANKS! icon_biggrin.gif

"Nothing should be more highly prized than the value of each day".... celebrating cruise #30 soon

• 2 weeks later...

Snorkeling along the shore is not good. Mostly sand bottom. The tour boats take people about a mile out for snorkeling. If you go to Paradise Cove, about 12 miles from Freeport by car, or on a tour, you can snorkel from the beach. I saw a stingray and many barracuda there. Also driving to West End, 22 miles, we used the secluded beach at Old Bahama Bay resort and snorkeled from the beach. Fabulous, with loads of fish, brain and fan coral

Royal Clipper 12/01

Golden Princess 3/02

Galaxy 6/02

OceanBreeze 8/02

Legend 12/02

Grandeur 4/03

NCL Dream 12/03

Maasdam 2/21/04

SunPrincess 12/12/04

Zenith 2/05

Jgwane, Thanks for the info...I guess it would be better if the 4 of us just take a jitney to Port Lucaya Beach for the day. I think they have water sports there for rent. By the way, I have a good friend who owns the Cuttin Inn Barbershop at Virginia Beach!!! icon_smile.gif

Celebrating 30th cruise soon....

• 8 years later...

Have been to Paradise Cove. Very nice for relaxing as well as snorkeling. Thinking of going back but as we own our own equipment not looking to pay package prices. Anyone know what the taxi costs would be to go the 12 miles or even the 22 miles to west End?

Archived