Costa Shore Excursions Which ones to do?

Slippery when wet

We are booked on the " Costa Fortuna" , stopping at San Juan, St. Thomas, Catalina Island, Casa De Campola and Nassau. No idea which shore excursions to do. Hoping to talk to anyone who has been on this cruise .

We may do the Submarine tour, is it any good? Which snorkelling tour is best in St. Thomas? What is best to do in Dominican? and also is the Casa De Campo "Kandela Magical Night Beneath the stars" any good?

Also, has anyone asked to have the automatic tip not to be taken off of the credit card. Last cruise we did on Carnival we tipped who we wanted to ourselves.

Also....do they allow Travel mugs?

Hoping to hear soon, as we are leaving next week!

Thank-you!:confused:

We are booked on the " Costa Fortuna" , stopping at San Juan, St. Thomas, Catalina Island, Casa De Campola and Nassau. No idea which shore excursions to do. Hoping to talk to anyone who has been on this cruise .

We may do the Submarine tour, is it any good? Which snorkelling tour is best in St. Thomas? What is best to do in Dominican? and also is the Casa De Campo "Kandela Magical Night Beneath the stars" any good?

Also, has anyone asked to have the automatic tip not to be taken off of the credit card. Last cruise we did on Carnival we tipped who we wanted to ourselves.

Also....do they allow Travel mugs?

Hoping to hear soon, as we are leaving next week!

Thank-you!:confused:

I've not sailed Costa before, but will attempt to answer your questions. We are booked on Fortuna in March on the same itinerary you are on. I've never taken a submarine tour, but have heard mixed reviews from other cruisers in different ports.

In St. Thomas, if you want to snorkel from a beach, Coki Beach or Sapphire Beach are suppose to have some of the best. Coki Beach is a small beach and can get pretty crowded depending on how many ships are in port with you. I've read the snorkeling on St. John's is the best! Costa's tour: St Johns Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel is $55.00. I've read that it can be done independently for quite a bit less. If you do a search for Trunk Bay on this forum or St. Thomas Forum, you will get quite a bit of good info. It still involves the ferry at Red Hook, but much cheaper.

Catalina Island is a free beach day with chairs, umbrellas and food provided. As far drinks, alcoholic and soda, there is a charge. This is a tender port and you can go back and forth to the ship throughout the day. If you chose a tour listed under Catalina Island, they will tender you to the mainland for it. In the evening the ship moves to Casa de Campo. The only excursion available is Kandela at the amphitheater. Everyone who has seen this has really liked it. Here is a link to the show itself.

http://www.kandela.com.do/english.htm

We've never felt like we needed to remove the automatic tips due to bad service, and in fact if we wanted to give more to cabin steward or waiter we generally give them cash the last night of the cruise.

Travel mugs have never been a problem on any of the cruise lines we've used in the past and can't belive they would on Costa. I'm a diet Pepsi drinker and bring my soda on board with me and use my cup everywhere except the dining rooms or lounges.

Hope this answers you guestions. Have a fun and relaxing trip next week. Then come back here and tell us all about it!

Bon Voyage!!:D

Debbie

Please, please, please don't remove the automatic tip! That tip gets distributed to members of the crew that you would never be able to tip yourself. For example, the waiters that clean up your table poolside or in the Lido buffet. Unless you're planning to leave a couple bucks everytime you eat something, please don't do it.

Now, if you want to reward great service then yes, feel free to give your dining room waiter, favorite bartender, etc. something extra in the way of tips.

Archived