Bejing to Hong Kong... how are seas?

roseleib

My husband and I are thinking of March 2009 Oceania trip Bejing to Hong Kong. My husband gets sea sick easily and is concerned about this trip especailly since Oceania ships are on the smaller size. We went from Rome to Venice last year on Oceania and he got sick one day when we couldn't even dock because of rough seas. I'd appreciate any information concerning sea conditions from anyone who has sailed Oceania on this itinerary. Thanks,

The China Sea can get quite rough.

Way back in 11-86, on the little Golden Odyssey, (a 10,000 tonner), while trying to outrun the back end of a typhoon between Hong Kong and Manila, we had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and inclinometer pegged several times. It was very rough for about 24 hours.

Mar 01, we did Singapore to Beijing on Regal Princess, a 70,000 tonner, and we had smooth waters in the same area of the China Sea.

No guarantees on the ocean. We've been on both Nautica and Regatta, midships, and have had no problems, but have not hit really rough seas while aboard those two ships.

We did this cruise last year and there were no unusual issues with the seas. Everything was fairly calm. I believe someone told us that they had fog issues in Shanghai the year prior. But that was not a rough sea issue.

By the way the pre cruise in Beijing, Xian and a visit to the Great Wall was outstanding.

We did this trip a couple of years ago, and it was fantastic (other than my screwed up visa), but the seas were just fine. We always like high and forward to have a feeling we are on the ship, but there were several who we met who were on deck 4 midship and they said they felt nothing. Depends on where you are and what you like. We like as high as possible and forward. Don't miss the trip. It was wonderful (and my husband tells me Shanghai was great. :rolleyes: )

I was on the fog-bound Beijing to HK - we spent one night in the Shanghai delta, but it wasn't rough at all. However I previously did a Singapore to HK and it was quite rough for a couple of days. Like Druke says though "no guarantees" - my dad was up there in the Navy and it can get quite rough, I have seen photos that would make me want to barf and I have good sea legs.

We'll be down in the Cook Straits on Nautica's 1-22-09 New Zealand/Australia cruise.

Perhaps we will have seas like that. Love to see my sis-in-law and hubby handle that. Although they have cruised with us several times, it has usually been smooth.

One exception was the Irish Sea, between Ireland and Wales, where we had a lot of pitching, and she managed to "toss" her tray of food onto some poor fellow at a table near her. Wish I had that on video!

Wish you a good sailing (not necessarily a smooth one, if you can handle it). On our November crossing on Regatta we went through a low pressure system. The seas were 25-30' with sustained winds of 60-65kn, per captain's briefing. It was a bit rough until the speed was reduced to abt 12kn. At that speed things settled down to a smooth up-and-down motion with spray whizzing by Horizons' windows; quite exhilarating. Due to the reduced speed we would have arrived in Bermuda one hour prior to scheduled departure time. So we bypassed it and headed straight for Miami. No loss for us, we prefer sea days anyhow.

This spring Regatta is leaving too early for Europe for us to make DW's school reunion at 'Germany High' on May 3. So we are going to check out Azamara Quest instead. At least she is also an R ship, and we will be in the same cabin as on Regatta.

Archived