Duty on alcohol brought into Canada

I don't know the exact amount, but I do know it makes it not worth the hassle of buying and transporting it home.

There is a thread somewhere that a woman had a bottle break on the way home which made it come out costing her more than if she had just bought at home, and I doubt she had counted in the bubble wrap and zip lock bags she had used.

Hello, we are Canadian and have always brought back more than our allowed duty free. We always declare that we are over our limit and have never had to pay.I do know that it is fairly pricey if they decide you have to pay but don't know what the cost would be. We don't go crazy with the amounts, usually 3 or 4 bottles between the 2 of us. As for the bottles breaking in our luggage ,it has never happened in many many trips out of the counrty.

I worked for customs years ago as a summer officer. I can tell you that the duty and taxes normally bring it up to Canadian prices (though those vary so much between provinces). As for bringing in more than you are allowed, it is a gamble. It depends a lot on the customs officer you get (sorry to say). If you want to risk paying duty or dumping it then go for it, otherwise it's worth sticking to the restrictions!

Sure is hard to see the liquor so cheap down there, isn't it?! ;)

Good luck!

I worked for customs years ago as a summer officer. I can tell you that the duty and taxes normally bring it up to Canadian prices (though those vary so much between provinces). As for bringing in more than you are allowed, it is a gamble. It depends a lot on the customs officer you get (sorry to say). If you want to risk paying duty or dumping it then go for it, otherwise it's worth sticking to the restrictions!

Sure is hard to see the liquor so cheap down there, isn't it?! ;)

Good luck!

Cheap booze beer outside Canada. I was coming home from the states, driving, and stopped for gas & lunch in NY near the border. I saw a 24 of Imported Molson Canadian beer for $14.99 with a $5.00 mail in rebate coupon. $10.00 for a case of beer that costs us $35.99(ish). I was in PA last Aug. and bought 30 cans of Bud for $21.00 (ish). I Scoffed at the price and the guy looked at me funny, I told him our prices, and the $ was at, or near par. He understood me scoffing.

Archived