Azamara - Children???

upgrademe

Well you wern't on the Princess, so no matter what size Princess ship, it is still in the Mass market genre, and caters to families. Having been on Oceania, and knowing that Azamara is striving to emulate their style, etc. I assumed that it would be similar, we had little "deck" music or entertainment on Nautica last year (oops thats now more than LAST yr, Nov 06). We were "in port" all but3 days out of 12, these ports were not touristy type "fun ports" either, Rome ,Naples, Tunisia, Crete, Egypt 2nts, Malta , Athens , Ephesus and Istanbul to end. This is the type of itinerary they (aza) are looking for...we were So tired after our shore tours we didn't have time to "DO" nightclubs etc. Trouble is Azamara is picking TOO obscure Ports with little to see and do there, so people are NOT tired after a day of nothing on shore! Mirage WAS bored,(and showed it) heard the lead singer talking to an officer, said he's had more "Problems" on this "gig " than any he'd ever been on! But I didn't find any of the musical entertainment, with the exception of the Harpist (when she didn't sing) to be very good, the 5 people who did shows were...LOUD...but average talent wise, and the shows...we're as entertained with my Grand-daughters...Jazz/ Show Concert choir in Highschool (admittedly they have some exceptional singers for highschool) "O"'s was just a cut above with the lounge entertainment...but nothing ever like you'll find on the ships that you go on just to have a fun cruise.

You hit the nail on the head....bored. "after a day of nothing on shore" exactly!

I don't walk far at a time, but we like to walk around small port towns, stop and have a local beer and an appetizer if we see something interesting. Watch the people, smell the air and maybe taste some local dish. Our 24Nov07 cruise had almost no opportunity for that.

You hit the nail on the head....bored. "after a day of nothing on shore" exactly!

I don't walk far at a time, but we like to walk around small port towns, stop and have a local beer and an appetizer if we see something interesting. Watch the people, smell the air and maybe taste some local dish. Our 24Nov07 cruise had almost no opportunity for that.

We were also on the 24 Nov '07 cruise to the Caribbean and loved it. We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment and thought the 5 piece group of singers to be very talented and complimented them at the time. The ship's band was very good with excellent musicians. Maybe we're easy to please (although just as critical as the next person) but I felt I had to come to the defence of 'Mirage' the 3 piece group who played on deck. The music was very relaxing and didn't intrude on conversation or reading a book - more of a background jazz/middle of the road musical sound with some popular music thrown in occasionally. It could be the musicians were 'bored' due to the lack of apppreciation of their music. We have sailed the Caribbean twice before and in each case were greatly irritated by the repetetive Caribbean music played on deck at least once a day. It just seemed interminable. I know you can't please all of the people all of the time....

As for bored 'after a day of nothing on shore', I think we must have been on a different cruise. On a Caribbean cruise (with smaller ports), it must be expected that some would be quieter with less to see or do. If you want more action, culture, and be tired out at the end of the day, you can't beat a Meditteranean cruise. You will visit different countries, cultures, taste different foods - the list is endless.

We are sailing the Quest in June to the Greek Islands, Turkey, Italy and France. We're looking forward to comparing cruising the Med with the Caribbean, on the same ship.

Rita

I think there is a general problem that has resulted from the new huge mega-ships that are more like floating resorts than traditional cruise ships. Those of us who are a bit old fashioned and still like cruising on ships, as opposed to floating monsters, are quite content to have boring sea days, few childen, no childrens programs, and very few annoucements. To some of us, the joy of quietly sitting in a deck chair and reading a book without constant distractions is a pretty good thing. If you want ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls, baby sitting service, Mickey Mouse, kids centers, etc etc there are ships designed to meet your needs. But do not go on a 700 passenger vessel and expect a smaller "Blight of the Seas" type ship.

Hank

I think there is a general problem that has resulted from the new huge mega-ships that are more like floating resorts than traditional cruise ships. Those of us who are a bit old fashioned and still like cruising on ships, as opposed to floating monsters, are quite content to have boring sea days, few childen, no childrens programs, and very few annoucements. To some of us, the joy of quietly sitting in a deck chair and reading a book without constant distractions is a pretty good thing. If you want ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls, baby sitting service, Mickey Mouse, kids centers, etc etc there are ships designed to meet your needs. But do not go on a 700 passenger vessel and expect a smaller "Blight of the Seas" type ship.

Hank

Hank,

I do so agree with you :) .There are plenty of the bigger ships to cater for people who like to be "on -the-go" all the time!

We also like the quiet times on the deck reading and people watching.

We cruised many,many years ago with our children and now that we are "empty-nesters" we do like to have a more-or-less child free holiday (vacation in US speak )

Incidently when we were cruising with our children with P&O on Canberra, there were far fewer activities available and they still seemed to enjoy themselves thoroughly.

Of course these were the days BC-------i.e Before Computer games etc.:D when children seemed happily to be able to make their own entertainment :cool: in a much simpler way, but times do change ( sigh)

I didn't want to give the impression that I personally don't like the entertainment style on the Quest, as we were doing tours on Port days, and found the lazing around fine for US but younger folk wer NOT as content. We are in social security range, and prefer a book to dancing on deck. My DH loved laying in the sun, a short dip in pool to cool off and I read in shade in that marvelous "patio" with the upholstered chairs...it was wonderfully relaxing. But the younger set wants more "action"...these ships won't supply that (A rousing game of Scattergories or Trivia in the coffee venue...which WE enjoyed, is about the daytime high...plus the "Art" auction)

Archived