recommended excursions in Guatemala?

punkmuse

my husband and i are thinking of taking a cruise with NCL that includes a stop in Santa Tomas de Castilla.

can anyone recommend any tour companies that are reliable?

i tried to find stuff online just by googling stuff btu i haven't found much.

we have never booked an excursion outside of the cruiseline so this would be our first time.

when you book a tour off the boat do you go with a group or just whomever you bring with you? i would prefer to go with a group.

the things we like are mainly natural type excursions, whether it be a rainforest hike, snorkeling, kayaking, or going to see ruins.

i have read alot about Gus' humanitarian tour and im trying to look up even more reviews. it sounds like "the thing to do" at that port but im not sure i want to do it.

ideas?

You might want to check out Happy Fish tour company. I read some good reviews, so I booked an excrusion very similar to the one Gus offers, and it was much cheaper. I don't yet have first hand experience, but I'll be sure share my impressions after my 1/20 NCL Spirit cruise.

Maybe I'm funny this way, but when there seems to be too much hoop-la over a specific tour (Gus's tour), then that is kind of a turn-off to me. I'm sure it is a great experience, but it is more expensive than the alternatives, and I get a little afraid of it being too crowded. Just something funny about my own preferences...

There are MANY alternatives to "Go with Gus", although the Gus tour is popular and many people like it. Lots of tours can be booked directly at the terminal. Guatemala is a very poor country and anywhere you visit and spend money will provide humanitarian aid to some.

Zydecocruiser has lots of pictures of one alternative posted on his website:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/ncl_sun_2006/SantoTomas/st_1.htm

READ my review from March about my tour with HF! Another tour group may be getting all of the action on this board---BUT THERE IS A REASON WHY!!!!!! You get what you pay for!!!!

Well, I've now read both positive and negative...I guess I'll just have to see what happens and post my review when I get back!

I've attached my e-mail thank you to Gus. I truly was a great day!

Good Morning Gus,

I wanted to send you a quick e-mail to let you know how much we appreciated and enjoyed our tour with your brother Carlos,first rate guide Jerry and captain Ben. We were lucky enough to have an incredible day during our short visit Dec. 20th. Thank you all.

We snorkelled with stingrays in Belize and swam with dolphins in Cozumel, but your tour was the highlight of our trip. The courteous staff, the places you took us to, the lovely walk of Livingston and the hospitality of your family was outstanding! The lunch provided was also the best I had during my trip and we were travelling on Holland America! The insight and care you took to explain the people, the river and your history gave us all a real appreciation for what you have. No wonder Jerry returned after so many years.

Speaking of Jerry, I wanted to let you know what an asset you have there. He is one of the best guides I have had the pleasure of experiencing. His love of the country and people is so evident in his manner. The kids love him at the schools and during our walk of Livingston, he seemed to know everyone. I also appreciate his ability to be very casual, yet in control at the same time. He made us all feel very safe at all times, allowing us to relax and enjoy your beautiful country. I also appreciated him showing us the diversity of your culture and organizing the cultural show was such a bonus.

I could not believe the amount we saw in such a relatively short span of time! I took many photos and attached a few. Unfortunately, I cannot forward my memories, but they will remain with me forever.

Again, thank you for the best shore excursion of our trip.

I hope that your mother's birthday party was succesful, and Carlos returned to Texas safely.

Wishing you success in the future,

Image1.gifImage2.gifImage3.gifImage4.gifImage5.gifImage6.gif

Archived