Weather in July

travel with kids

We just watched An Alaskan cruise sailing on The Radiance of the Sea on the Travel Channel (it was actually aired on 1/10/08). We have a few questions concerning the weather. I do not know when the Travel Channel taped their segment, however, everyone wore jackets, sweatshirts and long pants. We live in Maine, so we can handle cold weather. We just want to know how to pack. So, my question....what is the average temperature for the inside passage and up to Fairbanks in July? Thanks.

We went the first week in August. We had great weather and were able to get by with just warm clothes but we did need our coats a few times. When the sun was out and we were in it, no problems. However, when it wasn't or we were on the shady side it was cool. Especiallly when we were up in Glacier Bay.

But the weather does vary and the weather wasn't always as nice as we had.

You problably won't need your Maine winter coats but a good sturdy coat and sweater.. Layers is the way to go.

You need warm layers during the Alaska cruise season, include a knit hat and gloves. In Fairbanks, it can be hot, so bring a pair of shorts. Alaska has a wide range of UNPREDICTABLE weather possibilities. You are best to be prepared for all of them.

You problably won't need your Maine winter coats but a good sturdy coat and sweater.. Layers is the way to go.

LOL! Lets hope not! Currently it is 23 degrees and snowing wildly (we are expected to receive 12+ inches) and the wind is blowing 10 to 50 mph. brr!

You need warm layers during the Alaska cruise season, include a knit hat and gloves. In Fairbanks, it can be hot, so bring a pair of shorts. Alaska has a wide range of UNPREDICTABLE weather possibilities. You are best to be prepared for all of them.

I think I will pack as if I was staying in Maine for my vacation. It is not uncommon in the summer to wake to a chilly 40 degrees one morning and a humid 80 degrees another. We are very accustomed to layers and fleece and gore tex. This will be the first trip I have taken that I will pack them next to DH's nice suit and my formal gown.

Thank you for the informaiton.

Archived