Any tips for our first ever cruise?

LadyPink

We are booked for the QM2 Southampton to New York Roundtrip on the 4th May 2008.

We are in a B1 Premium Balcony Cabin.

Will there be other passengers doing both east and west rather than just getting off at New York?

Also, any tips would be greatly appreciated for us as we have never been on a cruise before.

Many thanks in advance.

We are booked for the QM2 Southampton to New York Roundtrip on the 4th May 2008.

Will there be other passengers doing both east and west rather than just getting off at New York?

Also, any tips would be greatly appreciated for us as we have never been on a cruise before.

Many thanks in advance.

Where should I start? First of all--welcome to the Boards--you couldn't have picked a better way to go...I suspect you have done some reading before joining, so I'll start by suggesting you join the brand-new roll call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=682482.

Next, if you haven't already, take time to read the following two reviews of the Qm2, they will give much pertinent information. Here's the link to Penny's Affair to Remember:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

And here are two for Pepperrn, the second one has lovely pictures:

TA review here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

QM2 AND QE2 PICTURES HERE

http://community.webshots.com/user/pepperrn

And best wishes for your future!

M-L

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to this board and congratulations on choosing back-to-back crossings for your first cruise. My wife and I (and our cat) did New York-Southampton-New York in May, 2006, and we are hoping to do the same again next year. We were told then that about five percent of the passengers were doing the round trip.

Penny compiled a dozen pages of tips and advice about the QM2; they are well worth your attention. I saved a copy here in my Photobucket.

Bon Voyage,

Paul

Pink Lady, welcome to Cruise Critic and to the Cunard board. You have chosen a wonderful ship for your crossings!!

ML and Paul have given you links to some excellent information about the QM2.

If you follow these boards and read the posts you will learn so much about the ship.

As ML suggested, join the roll call and get to know some of your fellow cruisers.

If you have any specific questions, please ask. We do get a little off topic from time to time, but we do try to answer questions.

Beth

Thank you for the lovely welcome and the very helpful links.

I will be busying myself reading and looking at them all now.

I can't wait to go on the QM2! We were undecided. QE2 OR QM2? In the end we thought the newer the better, i hope we are right.

Thank you again,

Lyndsey & Warren.

I can't wait to go on the QM2! We were undecided. QE2 OR QM2? In the end we thought the newer the better, i hope we are right.

Either would be great - but the QE2 is withdrawn from service in 10 months - so if you wanted to try her, now would be the time to do it. If not, then I'm sure you'll have a great time on the QM2.

Peter

Congratulations Lynsey&Warren on having your honeymoon on the QM2.We are celebrating our Silver wedding anniversary on this trip and are also doing the east west crossing on 4th May.

On our first cruise (Nov 06) we also chose the QM2 (transatlantic...west) to sail on and were not disappointed.

So on our special day (May 7th) the QM2 roundtrip was heaven sent.

QM2 is an imposing ship with so many wonderful things to see and do, as is better described on previous posts.

Enjoy (westbound) the extra hour per night especially when youve been to G32 nightclub, never mind room (cabin) service breakfast in the morning when you want it, very nice.

Anyway have a great time.....Fred&Sian UK

You are going to have a wonderful time and will have many days to explore the ship at leisure. You will love the QM2. I think you are starting at the top and all other cruises will pale in comparison.

I did the 6 night eastern crossing and still didn't do everything I wanted to do onboard- so you won't get bored on a 12 night cruise.

The ship handles like a dream.

Make sure to bring two pair of dress shoes- in case you break a strap. I forgot my shoes in Europe and had to beg and borrow to find a pair (that I bought off a nice member of the youth staff). The gift shop does not sell shoes of any kind.

Only peice of advice- if you use the pools outside it is very windy. make sure to bring a sturdy, heavy pool bag. We lost two shirts and two room keys that blew off the ship (I managed to rescue my flip flops!) Lovely pools and we used them often but is windy.

I just returned from 10 days Caribbean on QM2, and I wish I had

1. marked my all-black luggage with some kind of colored ribbon so I could have found it faster.

2. kept the original embarkation tags on the luggage (which had my name) as well as the colored disembarkation tags (which all look alike!)

3. Bring a power-strip to charge your various devices

4. Have FUN, FUN, FUN.

Archived