Area for a third bed, help

Pochahontas

Perhaps if you tell us the number of your cabin, we can tell from some of the sites we use to look up deck plans if it indeed is a double, triple or quad? That might help to figure out the cabin configuration.

Cause, I hate to tell you this, but if you don't like the layout or the condition of the cabin, they will not give you your money back. Sorry!

Well not to put too fine a point on it but if they sell it and it deviates from that of what I have paid for they do have to reimburse me! There no way I will stay in a cabin that

The wording of it imply that there are two lower beds in the configuration of this

icon_star.gif Two lower beds not convertible to queenicon_red_circle.gif Will accomodate third and fourth person.

To be honest I just don't want one that looks like hulagirls - thats horrible - I shall be phoning them tomorrow to double check I haven't got anything like that - I want the two beds as in the picture with possible a bunk that lowers - I mean don't forget there is only three of us not four - so there is probably going to be a lot more space - Oh and dunno about American law but over here if it isn't up to that of which you was sold - you can get your money back - regardless of the small print - anyway I am not gonna get wound up over it - I shall ring them tomorrow and find out exactly what the bed arrangements are - Sorry hulagirl those pictures are atrocious! if it turns out that that is what is on offer I shall more than likely ask for an inside stateroom - it would save me over a thousand pounds anyway - and to get a balcony that isnt upto standard to be honest isnt worth it, having said that I have had friends who have been on this ship and there pictures tell a different story.

That virtual is of a standard double with balcony cabin, Yes. But I have to tell you, there are a lot of virtual tours on the Princess website that are not correct. Some show virtual tours of a different class of ship and the layouts are totally different than the virtual shows.

Best of luck on this one, let us all know what happens.

But no matter where you live, US, Canada, UK, anywhere, I warn you, they will not refund your money if you don't like the layout of the cabin........it just doesn't happen on a cruise ship. Totally different than staying at a hotel as you pay your final payment for the cruise long before you actually see your cabin.

Again, I hope things go well and you have a good stateroom booked.

Thanks for that information Toto, I only booked this cruise a couple of days ago - not months ago - and If I am quick off the mark they cannot bind me to a cabin grade that I started off on a inside! It was only today that the woman on the Princess help line upgraded me (I paid for it, its not a free upgrade) with her assurances that it was a well placed cabin!

So with that in mind - I really do think if I wanted anymoney back - I am well placed to get it back at this stage with out any loss of deposit or fight. And to be honest if they are not gracious enough to down grade me back to that of which I was before then - a complaint will be started long before I travel, will let you know how I get on - but to be perfectly honest with you - I think I will bow out of these boards - I can see myself getting wound up over something that might not happen - I just wish hulagirl hadnt posted that picture its very off putting - and I may well end up fretting now till the cruise what if why fores when there may not be anyreason to be upset - but the seed has been planted - anyhow over here its gone four in the morning - supose Princess wont get a call now till the afternoon

Night all

x

You should know that on the Princess website there is an asterisk after each category name when looking at stateroom descriptions and if you scroll down to the bottom it does have a disclaimer:

"Certain staterooms may vary in size and configuration. Photos and diagrams represent typical arrangements. Call 1-800-PRINCESS for more information"

I'm sure this disclaimer alone would disqualify you for a refund if you are unhappy with your stateroom, no matter which country you reside in. I'm sure the lawyers at Princess have covered this in every way possible. After all, if they gave a refund to one passenger because they are unhappy with their cabin then they would have to give a refund to the next passenger that was unhappy with the food and the next one who didn't like the entertainment.

Pochahontas:

I'm glad you saw the pictures. I truly hate to tell you this, but when we originally booked the cabin we were also told the beds could be pushed together. Imagine our surprise when we walked into that cabin! We did go to the pursers desk, but the ship was full and there was nothing they could do. We were so shocked about the cabin that we didn't pursue it further, though it may not have done us any good at that point. We were in Puerto Rico, leaving for our Panama Canal cruise, so there wasn't much we could do then.

When we returned I went to see my new TA (we had booked a cruise on the Grand Princess with her before we left on this cruise) to find out if all the balcony triple/quad cabins were like this one. It was then that we found out that only on the Sun Class ships are they configured like this. Hate to say this, but you can talk to Princess and they will probably tell you that your cabin will be different than this, but it won't be. They will read off a paper that tells what the cabins are like on all the other ships, but not on these. No where will you find a floor plan that tells it like it really is. Believe me, I've looked.

I remember walking past the other cabins that had beds wishing we had one of them. Now if you had an ocean view cabin with a window, then you would have a normal bed with the 3rd and 4th bed folding out of the wall. Those cabins are livable for 3.

I'm really sorry that they put you in this cabin. We took the pictures on that one night cruise so I could show people what those cabins look like. Nobody really believes it until they see it. I just wish Princess would let people know about these cabins so they can make an educated decision. There has been several cruises that we would have like to have done, but knew we couldn't survive in that cabin. Since then we have moved up to full suites and that would be our only option on the Sun Class ships.

Again, good luck with all of this.

Hulagirl

Hello everyone - Ive just got off the phone from Princess HQ - I was told the standard of my room is Deluxe balcony - the picture that I see will be the configuration I will get apart from a pull down bunk - for the price I have paid, I am the top grade for balcony staterooms, and my cabin is slightly bigger than that of normal ones. The lady gave me her full name and said - there is no way they would ever have a Quad arrangement from that of which I described, so that said - I am going to continue with my cruise in the knowledge that what I have is what I will be expecting.

Thank you for all of your input on my quires.

:) :)

I will be very surprised if she is right! I would love to show her the pictures of the quad cabin and see what her explanation would be. Yes, they do have cabins that are like that, but the reservation people have no idea unless they have actually seen them.

We also had the top level balcony cabin on these cruises. There are just a few that will accommodate 3-4 people in a balcony cabin on these ships.

At least you have seen the pictures and are prepared as to what you most likely will have for a cabin.

Have a good cruise.

Hulagirl-What also puzzles me is that she seemed to have been told, by reading her post, that her cabin is 'slighly bigger' than that of normal ones???????? We all know, with balcony cabins, the only difference is location, except for the quads on the Sun Class ships in the Princess fleet. So this statement alone would send those red flags flying to me and have me questioning the reps information.

I do wish the best of luck to you in this choice, and I hope your cabin is all you want it to be. I also wish you would have given us the cabin number though, we would be able to tell you so much more than the Princess Rep as most of them have never even sailed on a ship before.

Good Luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Toto: That sent a red flag to me also. The only difference in balcony cabins is just the location! The cabins on the Sun Class ships are smaller than the norm also. Princess really does need to give their reps the correct information. I'm with you that the only cabins we would even consider booking on these ships is the mini or full suites. Of course, all we ever seem to book anymore is the full suites since we have just been spoiled with the extra room.

I remember a couple of years ago another lady on this board had one of these cabins booked. She was traveling with 2 other ladies, all in their late 60's and Princess kept telling them the same story this lady is being given. She never did come back to tell us what happened with her cabin, but I'm sure it wasn't good.

Yes, I also wish she would give us the cabin number. I looked at the deck plans also and there just isn't any other cabins for 3-4 people that are different.

I also with the poster a good cruise. At least she has knowledge as to what to expect.

As I posted a while back (Toto & Hulagirl will recall), I was in B730 on Sea Princess and can attest to everything Hulagirl has stated about this type cabin which "can accomodate up to 4". IT IS THE CABIN FROM HELL!

I am sorry to be blunt, but it is FACT. I don't wish for the OP or anyone else with this type cabin to be upset by what I (or Hulagirl) post here -- words or photos. Isn't it better to KNOW what to expect? I can say that I wish I had the info before my cruise in 1999, and I am sure Hulagirl feels the same. I'd have NEVER booked this cabin style. And yes, I DID ASK ABOUT THE EXACT LAYOUT! As people have stated on this thread & many others, the Princess call center reps DO NOT have all the info and majority of them have not been on the ships to know first-hand. However, Hulagirl and I have BOTH had these horrible cabins, and we are here to say BEWARE!

As for getting money back or a cabin change on board -- GOOD LUCK! Almost all sailings go 100% fully booked these days, so no empty cabin would be available. And no cruise line would give $ back because a passenger doesn't like their cabin layout. Therefore, it is better to have the info & the photos NOW, and make other arrangements if you can't accept that cabin. I will guarantee that is exactly the style you have been booked in, and I agree that you'd likely be better off switching to an inside cabin for the $...or moving up to a mini-suite (the Sea Princess minis are very nice and spacious -- we knew people on our sailing who were in one).

If I can find the thread where I posted on this cabin layout previously, I will come back & share it.

-- Renée

Hello - newbie to here, and to cruising - just booked a 14 day Transatlantic Cruise - Barbados to Southampton - I have booked a balcony stateroom and looking at the virtual cam of the lay out cannot for the life of me work out where they are going to put my son - he is 14 and not small!

Any information would be much appreciated

My husband, our adult daughter and myself were on the Baja Deck 11 and had a balcony. We were surprised not to see a sofa that converted to a bed but instead there was a bed from the ceiling. We have sailed before where we had this type of sleeping arrangement and as we are in our 60's and our daughter has an illness, what we did is bring the entire mattress and bedding down and put it in front of the balcony door. In the mornings before we went to breakfast, we would put it back up on the frame, and the stewardness never new we had done this.

If this is your first cruise and have a balcony, I would not give it up. There is no way to cruise without a balcony especially if you choose the right side of the ship where you will be coming in.

We sailed from Beijing to Bangkok 12/4-12/20 on the Sapphire Princess. We went to 10 ports and there was only 1 port where we did not dock on the side of our cabin.

This was our first cruise with Princess and we were very disappointed and would not sail with them again unless the itinerary was what we were looking for. That is why we sailed with them to Asia. No one else had all the ports we wanted to see.

Hope your cruise goes well for you and your family.

The triple balcony cabins on the Sapphire Princess are not comparable to the triple balcony cabins on the Sun Class ships. They are a completely different set up.

What you would have wanted would have been a mini suite. Those cabins have a couch that is a hide a bed. These are the only cabins on Princess (except for the Tahitian/Pacific/Royal) that have couches in the cabins. Regular balcony cabins always have a bed that folds out of the wall or ceiling. The Princess web site shows pictures of these types of cabins.

Renee!!!! I knew there was someone else who had that horrible cabin, but couldn't remember who it was. So glad you posted also. Yes, your description of the cabin is right on the mark. It does tend to spoil the cruise also when your cabin is so terribly uncomfortable. Nobody wants to believe these cabins are set up they way they are until they see one. I knew someone else that had one of these cabins also, but she doesn't post on the board anymore.

It is too bad Princess doesn't tell people what they are really getting. When the poster made the comment that the rep from Princess said they would never sell a cabin like this and she has a bigger balcony cabin than the norm, I knew the rep had no idea what they were talking about. There aren't any bigger balcony cabins and yes, she will have this type of cabin. The Princess rep basically has no idea what they are talking about and it is too bad.

We don't seem to book anything smaller than a full suite anymore, so we won't have this problem again. The larger size of the suites has really spoiled us, especially with 3 in the cabin.

Hulagirl

Hulagirl-I look at it this way. A picture is worth a thousand words, and you provided that picture. So, anyone looking into a quad balcony cabin on Sun Class ships here on CC has been forwarned and you provided the proof.

Although I have not had one of these, thank goodness, your pictures show that it is probably the most undesireable balcony cabins on any ship in the fleet.

You do have believers out here, and I am definitely one of them. Too bad others believe a rep that has probably never stepped onboard a ship to someone who has visual proof what they look like and that they do exist. :(

Thanks Toto! It is frustrating when you have a picture and still someone doesn't believe they will be getting what it shows. Like you said, a picture is worth a million words. I also wish people would realize that not all the ships are the same. Yes, a good percentage of the newer ships cabins are identical, but the other class of ships are definitely different. All I can say is, we will never be caught in one of those cabins again. Looking forward to our Grand Suite on the Golden in April. Now that cabin I could book over and over. The GS on the Sapphire Princess was the best.

Take care,

Hulagirl

Hulagirl,

Your description certainly made an impression on me when I first read it and that is why I responded with the warning that I did (sorry I couldn't remember your name!). I would personally rather stay home than cruise with all four of us in one cabin so I would never book one of these cabins myself, but your description and pictures were very memorable to me. Thanks for responding with your personal experiences that were also backed up by Renee. The original poster has been forewarned and if she chooses to bury her head in the sand and ignore the warnings she will be the one to suffer.

Renee!!!! I knew there was someone else who had that horrible cabin, but couldn't remember who it was. So glad you posted also. Yes, your description of the cabin is right on the mark. It does tend to spoil the cruise also when your cabin is so terribly uncomfortable. Nobody wants to believe these cabins are set up they way they are until they see one. I knew someone else that had one of these cabins also, but she doesn't post on the board anymore.

It is too bad Princess doesn't tell people what they are really getting. When the poster made the comment that the rep from Princess said they would never sell a cabin like this and she has a bigger balcony cabin than the norm, I knew the rep had no idea what they were talking about. There aren't any bigger balcony cabins and yes, she will have this type of cabin. The Princess rep basically has no idea what they are talking about and it is too bad.

We don't seem to book anything smaller than a full suite anymore, so we won't have this problem again. The larger size of the suites has really spoiled us, especially with 3 in the cabin.

Hulagirl

Hulagirl -- Yes, it is a shame that people refuse to believe. What would we stand to gain by lying about it? Now, if we came on here and said "oh no, don't book the suites" I could see that, because it would be self-serving! :D We won't book less & would rather travel less often but really be comfortable, vs. cramped.

I could maybe see 4 teen boys getting along OK in one of those rooms, as boys are not as "high maintenance" as women & can get up & out quickly. Any adults, especially females, who can tolerate those cabins would be something I can't imagine exists on this planet. I would venture to bet that each sailing has most of these cabin occupants complaining loudly at the purser's desk...with no recourse possible. You and I learned a hard lesson about really researching a cabin before booking!

-- Renée

Hello - newbie to here, and to cruising - just booked a 14 day Transatlantic Cruise - Barbados to Southampton - I have booked a balcony stateroom and looking at the virtual cam of the lay out cannot for the life of me work out where they are going to put my son - he is 14 and not small!

Any information would be much appreciated

hi there pochahontas/ just came across you there on the thread, i`m just on to let you know that there is a rollcall for this cruise if you want to come meet us and you can also ask questions there as a few of the CC members have been on the sea princess before the link is below

linda

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=13024329#post13024329

the cruise is for 21 nights but theres a few going the 14 night leg of the trip dated 5th april 2008 montego bay to london, i hope you get this link ok:p

Thank you for this question!

It makes me wonder.. we have a quad cabin (inside) on the brand new Ruby... what will the beds be configured? All pull down from the wall? We are catergory K if that helps...

THANKS! Steph

Any pics will be helpful too!

An inside quad on the Ruby should be almost exactly like this inside on the Golden.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34730&d=1168733857

Archived