Question about NY Terminal

legalsec

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never cruised before. Is the terminal indoors or outdoors? The reason I ask is that we sail in February so I want to be prepared with a warm jacket if we're waiting outside to board. Likewise, I don't want to be stuck with my heavy down jacket if we will be waiting inside.

Two more questions...are the muster drills held inside or out in the winter?

And, lastly, what time does your luggage usually get to your cabin (Departure is at 4:00)?

Thanks.

When we used the NY terminal (2 years ago) we were taken inside the terminal to wait. And yes - it got pretty warm in there. Our drill was held inside - but I can't say for certain that all were (sorry). Luggage to the room is always a question....we usually check in as early as possible. Sometimes our luggage is to our rooms quick...and sometimes there is a delay. In NY, I believe we were onboard at in our rooms about 12:30 with luggage arriving around 4:00. Tip - I always carry on an outfit that will be suitable for dinner. Just in case you want to have an early meal and there is a delay in the luggage – you are still ready to go. And you don’t have to worry about rushing.

Hope this helps.

The cruise ship terminal in indoors. It is much like an airport terminal. First there will be security/scanning, then processing by NCL -tickets, key cards checked etc. Then a large seating/waiting area.

The life boat drill is held at the various life boat stations. Most are outdoors, some are indoors. If the weather is too bad outdoors I have heard in the past that this will be postponed until the next day, but I don't know it they still are allowed to do that.

Luggage should be there by 6:00. Usually much earlier but if it is not there by 6:00 then there maybe an issue with it ie: lost tag.

Most dinning rooms have relaxed dress codes for embarkation day because luggage may not have arrived yet.

Travelling in winter is tricky b/c of travelling from cold to hot climates. We try to not bring the big winter coat (to big, bulky, hot). Try travelling in layers.

Oh and by the way, no questions are stupid.

Bring a sweatshirt, terminal is indoors. I would pack a pair of speedos, but being that you are sailing in Feb.. I'd hold off. As soon as you board the ship, the only thing to do is eat..your luggage takes bout 2-3 hours to get to your room..if you're lucky. I wouldnt carry extra clothing for dinner. You dont have to dress up..unless you go to Cagneys steakhouse...or the asian restaurant..

I wore dressy shorts to that chinese place one night and got sent to my room..to put something more "appropriate" on. HOW RUDE LOL

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never cruised before. Is the terminal indoors or outdoors? The reason I ask is that we sail in February so I want to be prepared with a warm jacket if we're waiting outside to board. Likewise, I don't want to be stuck with my heavy down jacket if we will be waiting inside.

And, lastly, what time does your luggage usually get to your cabin (Departure is at 4:00)?

Thanks.

A jacket is a good idea since you will spend some time outside on your way down, including embarkation, safety drill and just exploring the outside of the ship.

I always make sure we have hand sanitizer when going through the terminal because the last thing you want to do is catch somebody's nasty NYC/Northeast cold while you're in the caribbean!

Thanks.

Just back from the Gem today.

Pier 88 is nicely renovated. There didn't seem to be any problem with the HVAC -- not too hot, not too cold. However, you will definitely need your jacket upon your return! :eek: Best to carry it along.

Muster stations were all indoors.

I finished unpacking my luggage :D before the muster drill began at 3 p.m. (4 p.m. scheduled departure).

Archived