Costa Maya port construction ahead of schedule

jetskier

Our cruise in January replaces Roatan with Costa Maya and also stops at Cozumel. We picked this cruise because we wanted to go back to Costa Maya. Thoroughly enjoyed our last visit there.

May I ask which cruise? I can't wait to return to Costa Maya!

I visited in Dec 06 on a cruise that I took with my mom..it was my all time favorite port day. We just went to Majahaul (Pez Quadro), relaxed on the beach and swimming in the crystal clear water - ahh :rolleyes: . I am trying to pick a cruise to take the family on this year and would love to include Costa Maya.

May I ask which cruise? I can't wait to return to Costa Maya!

I visited in Dec 06 on a cruise that I took with my mom..it was my all time favorite port day. We just went to Majahaul (Pez Quadro), relaxed on the beach and swimming in the crystal clear water - ahh :rolleyes: . I am trying to pick a cruise to take the family on this year and would love to include Costa Maya.

Carnival Legend, Jan 11 out of Tampa. Your description of your past experience matches ours. Skip the manufactured port and spend a lazy day at the beach.

Yes, Pez Quadro -- be careful getting out of the swing seats at the bar after a few drinks -- hope it's been rebuilt. :eek:

You say you were looking foward to going back to Costa Maya. What did you particular enjoy? I'm planning first trip in February.

Getting away from the manufactured port area. Drink, food prices cheaper, but much better. Relaxing day at a quaint fishing village on the beach. Now, understand that the village was utterly destroyed by Dean and is being rebuilt. For example, main road in town was dirt, but now appears to be paved.

You say you were looking foward to going back to Costa Maya. What did you particular enjoy? I'm planning first trip in February.

Here's what I loved about Mahahual:

After a $4 taxi ride we were transported to a small authenic Mexican town, complete with sandy roads, lots of quaint restaurants and shops along the beach. We found a highly recommended spot which unfortunately no longer exists- The Cat's Meow. We got a lounge chair by the beach, shopped in the local shops and was served some absolutely delicious food and drinks. The owner came out to visit and take time to talk to us and introduce us to her 19 year old cat.

When we got a little rain shower, we moved under the cabana and met some local American transplants that were now living in town. I felt like we were sitting in a small town cafe [we were!] conversing with new friends. Another gentleman from Mexico joined us with his guitar and played music all afternoon. I bought some silver jewelry from a local shop owner [ David- from the Silver Reef]. He took his time explaining how he created his pieces- not the mass produced stuff you can buy at all the port stores. My sister bought a few handbags from a woman who rode a bus 22 hours from inland mexico to sell crafts in town. Her prices were cheaper than the port stores and it felt good contributing to their livelyhoods. I never felt harassed by any vendors while there.

We just felt so welcome there, the atmosphere so laid back. We spent most of our day just hanging out in town, enjoying the water and the people.

I feel so blessed to have visited before the storm destroyed their town. I was devasted to hear about their loss. I know it will never be the same, but I am hopeful that it will come back even better, but not lose it's small town feel.

I'm anxious to see it again after it is rebuilt and I'm hoping some of the original residents are able to reopen their shops. The port of Costa Maya is a nice port stop, but it was Mahahual that we truly enjoyed on our visit there.

• 3 weeks later...
I will be back in Costa Maya in August for two weeks and will be sure to take lots of pictures. Having been back twice since Dean I can assure you that Mahahual and the entire Costa Maya area is still a wonderful place; especially with NO ships in port.

I know that Mahahual has forever been changed by Dean but will maintain a quaintness for many years to come. I may not agree with all of the changes but I do understand from a business perspective. The plan had always been to revitalize/build up the area and Dean gave them an opportunity to move things into high gear. More critical to the area maintaining it's quaintness will be to not stack the ships up in port. Three (small) ships equals 6000+ passengers and that doesn't even count crew that gets off. That many people will make any port feel crowded.

A sad change for me will be when more people realize what a wonderful area this is and take a land vacation to Costa Maya instead of just cruising in for the day.

As promised here is a link to some pictures from my recent trip (August 22 - Sept 5, 2008). I have also posted some of my Hurricane Dean pictures again. Please do not repost these without permission.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/566778891DTkHuE

The pier area is still closed but the town of Mahahual is up and running and desperate for the cruiseships to return.

There is a great deal that I would like to share about the area but feel it necessary to take my time to formulate my thoughts. I LOVE Costa Maya and realize that my opinion is biased because of my love for the area and the people.

Wow! The area has come a long way! This is wonderful to see! We will arrive in Costa Maya in December and are so anxious to see the

area and people again.

CruiseCatnMack: Thank you so much for posting your pictures! Do you know if Cha-Chi Beach still exists?

We are on the 11/2/08 sailing of Carnival Legend out of Tampa and are now scheduled to go to Costa Maya. Does anyone know what the plans are in the short term? For example, what might be open at the port or what might be open in town? I had been to CM many times and enjoyed the Jungle Beach Break at Umero Beach. I wonder how that beach made out? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

-- Daryle

We are on the 11/2/08 sailing of Carnival Legend out of Tampa and are now scheduled to go to Costa Maya. Does anyone know what the plans are in the short term? For example, what might be open at the port or what might be open in town? I had been to CM many times and enjoyed the Jungle Beach Break at Umero Beach. I wonder how that beach made out? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

-- Daryle

HAL just posted shore excursions for the Westerdam's 10/31 visit. The Jungle Beach Break is listed.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, any new news about Costa Maya? I heard that a few ships have already docked there but not positive. I am trying to find out what is open in the port and in the town and also what excursions might be available?

I have tried to google everything Costa Maya and found no up to date info. My travel agent knows nothing and Carnival seems to know nothing. We are going to stop there on our 11/2 Carnival Legend trip. I have been there before the hurricane but am looking for current info? HELP

Any Cruise Critic people know anything?

PLEASE!!!

Thanks

-- Daryle

Ships will return at the end of the month.

You will find pictures from our recent land vacation to Costa Maya in the link below.

Yes, thanks-- I had seen them a few days ago. I was hoping for something more recent. I had heard 2 things 1) what you said that the port was opening at the end of October 2) there have alredy been a couple of ships that stopped there. Not sure which is true. Either way, we are going there on our 11/2 Carnival Legend cruise so if no one else reports I will report when I get back. My expectaion is that there will be almost nothing open when we get there except for may a few stores in the port area-- but who knows!

-- Daryle

My expectaion is that there will be almost nothing open when we get there except for may a few stores in the port area-- but who knows!

-- Daryle

Although the port area was not open at the end of August most of the town of Mahahual was open and ready for business.

I can assure you when the ships return you will find most if not all stores open in the port area

Although the port area was not open at the end of August most of the town of Mahahual was open and ready for business.

I can assure you when the ships return you will find most if not all stores open in the port area

That's good news. Thanks for the info. When I get back from my 11/2 cruise I'll post what I found

-- Daryle

I am also on the LEGEND 11/2 ship. (With Dayrle)

Our group is in a panic about getting somewhere and having nothing to do. They only list about 4 excursions on the Carnival site and I suspect those are the same ones listed at one of the primary "outside" sites.

We've found an amazing zip line deal that they say will be "new" to the cruise ships - the only place in the country you can zip line tandem - and oh my the pix are gorgeous...However - they may be pre-Dean...

Anyway - We are watching and waiting - and for those that come after 11/2 - we will try to be as fact gathering and descriptive as possible. After all - it is a brand spanking new port (pretty much...)

Webcam - http://www.margaritadelsol.com - live images...(area south of Majahaul)

Here is a link to a new weather station located on the Costa Maya:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IQROOMAH2

May be of some interest to check out the local weather (about 4miles south of the pier - right on the beach)

another webcam - looking towards the jungle

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/MargaritadelSol/1/show.html

Just returned from a land vacation at Mahahual - looking real good - I really think everyone will really enjoy the town. Yes, it still has the small village feel. Most of the same business are open with new and improved buildings- and many new one too.

Archived