sunset beach near ship Kauai/Maui

MOMofONE

If we wanted to get off the ship to enjoy sunset from a beach, what time should we head out and where to go close to pier?
In Kauai?
In Maui?
I think Kid's Club opens at 7 PM so ideally we would take daughter there and make this a romantic interlude, hubby and me. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Is there time to get settled for a sunset?
Envisioning this would be more romantic than my balcony.
Tina

You might want to check sunset times on the Internet for when you're cruising. Sunset in Hawaii is either around 7 pm or earlier so if you're waiting that long, you'll probably miss it. I can't remember where you're going to be on Maui - in Lahaina or Kahului. Lahaina is easy - just go to the wharf and you'll have a great sunset view. Kahului will be much worse - you'll have to travel across at least to Maalaea to get a good view of the sunset. Can't help with Kauai - not many beaches around there and I'm not sure if the angle will work properly to see sunsets anyway. The beach in front of the Kauai Marriott is close but again, not sure about whether the sunset is viewable from that location.

Spleen

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

OK slpeen - will check sunset times and guess the romantic thing won't fly but will time our Lahaina visit (with DD in tow) to hit the wharf at sunset.

Guess in Kauai, that is why the Sunset cruises are on Napali Coast. We were planning on a Napali Cruise for the sheer beauty of scenery but was hoping to snorkel. Maybe we'll consider a Sunset Cruise instead.

OK then how about Sunset on Oahu? Will be staying in Waikiki but planning on going to both North and East beach areas during our 4 day stay. WHere is best susnset spot here?

The Hawaii board rocks!!
Much Mahalo again,
Tina

Tina,

Sunset on Oahu is easy - any beach spot in Waikiki will have a fantastic view of the sunset usually. If you're on the North Shore, Sunset Beach (duh) also tends to have fantastic sunsets as well. My personal recommendation is to have drinks at sunset at the House Without a Key (bar/grill) at the Halekulani Hotel or to have a meal at Mariposa at Neiman Marcus in Ala Moana Shopping Center (ask for a table on the patio with a sunset view) or at Duke's.

Spleen

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

• 2 weeks later...
We dined in two beach-side locations last week on the west shore Maui. We made 6:30 reservations, the sunset started getting good around 7:00, and by 7:30 it was close to dark.

-----------------------

Platinum for Princess, for Royal Caribbean and for Celebrity.

• 1 month later...
I can definitely help with Kauai. If you don't mind eating dinner off the ship and taking a 30 minute drive, I have the place for you. Have dinner at the Beach House in Poipu Beach. The sunset is awesome. You will absolutely need reservations; the food is pacific rim and the view is beyond compare. You can dress casual(like every where else in Hawaii). we stay in Poipu several weeks each year and never get bored with dinner at the Beach House.

I have to second bnkrpzlawr's suggestion. We stayed in that area last year and again next year. The sunsets are awesome, and the Beach House is too. And if you're lucky, a few whales might swim by for emphasis.

Island Princess Feb. 2004
Grand Princess Feb. 2002
Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

Thanks all!
We sail in 27 days so I am taking notes.
Paul - thanks for sharing time frame - we were hoping to have time to shop in Lahaina, after snorkeling but prior to sunset and you have confirmed this will be so!
bnkrpzlawr & daWoods -We actually will be near Poipu for sunset - but we are doing a Napali sunset snorkel cruise, out of Port Allen. The sailing time is approx. 1:30 to 6 PM so I suspect the "sunset" portion of the cruise will be close to harbor, and we will be seeing that beautiful view you speak of from the Beach House.
I am SO getting psyched for Aloha time! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I just returned from a Kauai pre-cruise then 11-day island cruise. We stayed at the Marriott in Lihue, and unfortunately the angle isn't good for great sunset pictures. Our best shots were at the Old Lahaina Luau (got a FABULOUS shot with some palm trees and tiki torches blacked out) and got a couple nice shots right off our aft cabin on the ship.

8 previous cruises, Celebrity, Carnival and RCI, Panama Canal, Hawaii and all Caribbean destinations. Enchantment scheduled Oct 2004

Archived