Embarkation in Venice

We will be sailing on the Zuiderdam in July. The web site states that boarding typically begins at 11:30 AM. We want to quickly check in and then return to sight-seeing and check out the ship later in the afternoon/evening. My question is typically how quick is check-in (forms already completed on-line) do you need to go to a separate line to be photographed adding to the time and is muster the first day or just before sailing (we spend a night in Venice on the ship prior to sailing) Thank-you

Why not just keep your sightseeing routine and take a water taxi to the ship late in the day. Approaching those ships in a water taxi is quite an experience. The let you off at the small dock where you deposit your luggage. Then you hike around to the end of the building where forms are checked. Late in the day there are not any lines and it does not interfere with your touring.

Does your ship spend that first night in Venice or leave that evening?

I am doing the same cruise on Zuiderdam in July (I am doing the 7th-19th). This wil be my second cruise out of Venice and my seventh trip to Venice.

Here is my suggestion. Take a taxi to the ship (will cost about 35 Euros) and drop off your bags. They will have your cabin stickers on them and will make their way to your cabin- don't worry.

Contact Holland America and see about the shuttle tickets. The cruise lines operate a shuttle to and from the docks. It is very good and drops you off in St. Mark's Square. Honestly though... I think it might be better to do what i am doing... walk to Piazzle Roma and just find a place to sit and have some coffee until it is time to board. You won't have much stamina if you have done a TA flight. Take a nap in your room and go explore Venice later- when all the daytrippers have left for the day.

Why not just keep your sightseeing routine and take a water taxi to the ship late in the day. Approaching those ships in a water taxi is quite an experience. The let you off at the small dock where you deposit your luggage. Then you hike around to the end of the building where forms are checked. Late in the day there are not any lines and it does not interfere with your touring.

Does your ship spend that first night in Venice or leave that evening?

yes the Zuiderdam offers cruises that have an overnight in Venice- which is really nice. Much more affordable to stay on the ship than in a hotel there.

We will be sailing on the Zuiderdam in July. The web site states that boarding typically begins at 11:30 AM. We want to quickly check in and then return to sight-seeing and check out the ship later in the afternoon/evening. My question is typically how quick is check-in (forms already completed on-line) do you need to go to a separate line to be photographed adding to the time and is muster the first day or just before sailing (we spend a night in Venice on the ship prior to sailing) Thank-you

As far as the muster drill- I can't tell you with an certainty but I suspect that they aren't going to hold you hostage on board so that you can do the muster drill. In fact, I suspect that they do the muster drill after sailaway on the second day. Most cruise lines don't do the muster drill until the ship is sailing out of port- to assure that everyone is present for said drill.

We are sailing in April from Venice...If you take the bus from the airport to Piazzle Roma is it easy to find a taxi or a shuttle to the ship...Since we do not want to handle our luggage too much would it be better to just take a taxi direct to the ship?

We arrive in Venice on Sunday and do not board until Monday, spend the night on the ship and sail on Tuesday. So I would like to dump my luggage at the port (have previously disembarked at Venice and know the water taxi routine) check-in if it is not an ordeal and leave the ship. Otherwise we will probably jsut return late in the afternoon. The hotel will hold our luggage so it is not a huge inconvenience, just trying to make plans. We are travelling with my brother-in-law and partner who have never been to Venice and I know they want to maximize their time on the island prior to sailing.

Archived