Alaska in May

maxcom

We are cruising on Millenium in May to Alaska and would appreciate any help you could give regarding tours,we would like to do a helicopter ride to the glaciers and perhaps a dog sled ride aswell and maybe a sea plane and an indepth tour to see the wildlife. We are visiting Skagway Juneau and Ketchekan perhaps you could advise us as to the best port to choose either of the tours also will the weather be clear in mid May

Juneau is a good place to do helicopter tours that land on a glaicer. I did a tour that had a flightseeing component and then a two hour hike on the glacier; it was incredible.

If by the weather being "clear" you mean sunny, the answer would be no. It is usually overcast and often drizzlyor light rain. You may get glimpses of the sun hear and there. Despite the gloomy weahter, Alaska is extremely beautiful. Don't forget to pack clothes geared for layering as during the course of a day it may range from being quite warm to very cold.

Juneau is a good place to do helicopter tours that land on a glaicer. I did a tour that had a flightseeing component and then a two hour hike on the glacier; it was incredible.

If by the weather being "clear" you mean sunny, the answer would be no. It is usually overcast and often drizzlyor light rain. You may get glimpses of the sun hear and there. Despite the gloomy weahter, Alaska is extremely beautiful. Don't forget to pack clothes geared for layering as during the course of a day it may range from being quite warm to very cold.

Whether the weather will be clear or gloomy is impossible to predict. Some areas of Alaska have more rainy days than others and on my two trips to Alaska, I experienced both rainy and sunny days, warm weather and chilly weather. I would no more say that it is usually overcast than I would claim that you will have bright sunshine the entire time you are there. Alaska is a massive territory and just as weather can be quite different in South Carolina and Massachusetts on the same day, it can be just as different in Anchorage (or Fairbanks) and in Ketchikan(or Juneau). Take a look at a map that superimposes Alaska over the lower 48 states and you will get some idea of the area we are talking about and you will see why it is dangerous to generalize about the weather you will encounter.:)

Whether the weather will be clear or gloomy is impossible to predict. Some areas of Alaska have more rainy days than others and on my two trips to Alaska, I experienced both rainy and sunny days, warm weather and chilly weather. I would no more say that it is usually overcast than I would claim that you will have bright sunshine the entire time you are there. Alaska is a massive territory and just as weather can be quite different in South Carolina and Massachusetts on the same day, it can be just as different in Anchorage (or Fairbanks) and in Ketchikan(or Juneau). Take a look at a map that superimposes Alaska over the lower 48 states and you will get some idea of the area we are talking about and you will see why it is dangerous to generalize about the weather you will encounter.:)

The cruise ship does not stop at inland ports. The ports he mentioned all tend to have mainly cloudy days (just like Seattle) and are not all that far apart. Sure, there is the off chance the weather that week will be mostly sunny, but in Juneu, Skagway, Ketchikan, just like Seattle, in all likelihood the weather will be predominantly overcast.

I went in May and had sunshine and clear skies in Ketchikan and Skagway and just a touch of rain in Juneau. I went in September and had rain in all three, with torrential downpours in Ketchikan. From what I understand, it's hard to predict when you will have good weather, so just plan on having rain and if you don't get it, it will be a nice treat.

are you on the May 5 cruise.....come to the connections list..lots of info there. Last year in early May DH was in the inside passage area in shorts, t shirts and sandals. Come prepared for rain, sun, wind and cold with layers. The copters shouldn't fly if it's not safe, but use your common sense. Bring shoes that you can toss if they get too wet/muddy. It's beautiful even in the rain (last two times i've been there I've had 2-3 days of very wet weather). Even had fun standing in a long very wet line for the tender in Sitka watching the bald eagles swoop and screech.

Archived