Internet Access Charges

MakinGold

OK. This has probably been asked on here a number of times, but I'm having trouble with the search feature. So . . . simple question: what does internet access cost? I'm curious, because my wife is pretty snowed under at work right now, and I think it will actually help here relax, if she knows she can catch up on work e-mails once or twice during the week.

No problem.:p $.50 per minute. But they offer packages that can drop it down to as low as $.33 per minute.

It was .55 on Enchantment last week which made it much harder for me to track things. :eek:

And, OP, one time of the three we tried it, it was almost like working from home, once it was turtle speed and once I just gave up. There are internet cafes in most ports right near where you dock. No fools they.

Internet is 50 cents/min, $25 for 60 minutes, $35 for 90 minutes, and $50 for 150 minutes. That's for use of the cyber center or wi-fi. What the others have said about logging on when lots of people are using the internet is true, you probably won't even be able to download your email. Best times are very early or very late, or when everyone is ashore (and you could get much cheaper access in a cyber cafe onshore). If you're C&A, you'll have some free time coupons in your C&A pack. Hope that helps. Here's a link to the RCL internet FAQ.

The Jewel was $0.55/per minute but you could buy packages that end up being less.

I paid $.49 per minute for a one hour package on the Voyager,

but, sitting waiting for the computers to do something

is not worth it. I tried several computers one morning trying to

find a weather forecast and, e-mail and, finally gave up.

I charged over $9.00 to my account, but, R.C.C.L. took it off

my bill, when I told Guest Services

about my experiences. I never did get e-mail or, weather,

and, finally gave up. Those shipboard computers are nice to have

but, I am NOT impressed with them.. :mad:

They are REALLY slow even IF you get anything at all on line.

Last year I had no problems with the Internet Cafe on board the AOS. It wasn't LIGHTENING speed, but certainly adequate for a quick look at e-mail. I bought the package and found that it lasted just exactly the correct amount of time.

I DID have problems using my laptop and finding exactly the right spot for wireless connectivity. That I gave up on and finally just went with the Cafe. :cool:

OK. This has probably been asked on here a number of times, but I'm having trouble with the search feature. So . . . simple question: what does internet access cost? I'm curious, because my wife is pretty snowed under at work right now, and I think it will actually help here relax, if she knows she can catch up on work e-mails once or twice during the week.
As I've posted numerous times in other threads: Unless you plan to do a very trivial amount of web browsing or plan to only read/send a couple emails, make sure you know how to work off-line using your own computer. Due to the very limited bandwidth of the ship's satellite-based internet link and the large number of users sharing this single connection, the internet access speed will be slow at best, and unusable at worst. Thus it is critical IMO, for both your sanity and your pocketbook, to bring your own notebook, connect wirelessly and to do as much of your emails (and even some web browsing) off-line. An example to illustrate (assumes a $.40/minute package):

Scenario #1 - Working off-line

You connect, send/receive your emails and then immediately disconnect (2-3 Internet minutes used). Read and reply to emails at your leisure--remember, you're not connected! Later, when you are ready, you connect, send/receive your emails, and then disconnect (another 2-3 minutes used). Total: 5 minutes x $.40/min=$2.00

Scenario #2 - Working on-line

You connect, open a web browser or your own email client, and fetch your emails. But you remain online the whole time. You spend 20 minutes reading messages. You spend 25 more minutes replying to messages. You disconnect. 45 minutes x $.40/min= $18.00

Even though you consume the same amount of internet bandwidth in both scenarios, you pay much more to remain online! Repeat this every day over a period of xx days, and well, you can see the $$$ difference and profit you are generating for RCI!

Archived