Oosterdam 8/28-9/4

cruzbums

We have sailed on the old Westerdam(2), Massdam(1), Veendam(2), Amsterdam(2) and Oosterdam(1). We have also sailed on RCCl and Princess.

We usually book a Suite and once got upgraded to the Penthouse Suite on the Veendam.

We now sail out of Seattle all the time as my wife has an illness that makes it hard to travel on planes etc.

I think the O'dam is a really pretty ship and I like the mid-ship elevators with the sea view. Even though I prefer the Rotterdam and Amsterdam type ships I would certainly book the O'dam again.

The embarkation was faultless. We arrived at the pier about 11:30am and were up in the Lido eating lunch by 12:00 noon.

We were in out room by 1:00pm. I like the double sink in the bathroom and the ample storage. I was a little disappointed that the room was smaller than the Suites on the smaller HAL ships. I know that everyone really likes the new beds but I perfer the pillow top type but it was still comfortable over all. My only complaint is the chairs. The backs were slanted back which made them uncomfortable for both my wife and I.

The staff in the Neptune Lounge were great. I really like this service along with the snacks.

I am a big coffee drinker and really appreciate the fact that HAL still uses ground coffee rather than the syrup that Princess has gone to.

The entertainment was good overall. Here again the seating in the Vista Lounge could have been a little more comfortable. Maybe I am just getting old and the old body can't take it anymore.

I have no complaint about the food. I have always liked the food on HAL even though I think it is not quite as good as it was when I first started sailing. Here again maybe my taste buds have changed.

If I could change anything I would wish that one of the ships out of Seattle would go to Skagway instead of Sitka. However this will not stop us from sailing as we really make the ship our destination.

The weather was good the week we went and we really enjoyed ourselves.

We have booked the Penthouse Suite on the Amsterdam for May 22, 2005 so are looking forward to that.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

FYI! Just a note. We were on Celebrity's Mercury, out of Seattle, last month, and they make a weekly stop at Skagway, but not Sitka. We had a great time and the service was top notch. You might try this as an option if you want to visit Skagway. It was a great town.

SDCruiser

Archived