Camera Gear Prices - Caribbean vs B&H Photo

After reading Pierce's comments about a good lense for shooting wildlife, I am now wanting that Canon 100-400L lense!!!

I am wondering if anyone has done serious price comparison between prices for camera gear (lenses in particular) in the Caribbean v.s. a good photo store like B&H Photo in NYC??

I have not compared prices. However, if you buy in the carribean, you will almost certainly get equipment without the US warranty. If there is a problem, you will not be able to return it to the store, and Canon repair facilities in the US may not take it.

B&H is a reputable company.

If there is a price difference, I doubt it would be large enough to make up for the risk.

I have the 100-400 and love it, btw.

Photodoodle beat me to it! :D

Most of the Caribbean is grey-market. It's all real and the quality is no different but, as stated, the USA warranty may not apply. Chances are that it might be ok, but for the small difference in price I saw last time I was in St. Marten, it wasn't a bet I was prepared to cover.

B&H or Amazon are very safe bets, but if you see a deal and it has a US warranty....???

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I only hope Sony sees fit to produce one before I go to Alaska again!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

B&H is totally reliable. They back up their products. Adorama is another good place. Just remember, there is no way that a camera store can sell at less than cost and stay in business. B&H gets the best prices for equipment because the buy in quantity. If the competition is too cheap, it is because they are crooks.

DON

Photodoodle beat me to it! :D

Most of the Caribbean is grey-market. It's all real and the quality is no different but, as stated, the USA warranty may not apply. Chances are that it might be ok, but for the small difference in price I saw last time I was in St. Marten, it wasn't a bet I was prepared to cover.

B&H or Amazon are very safe bets, but if you see a deal and it has a US warranty....???

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I only hope Sony sees fit to produce one before I go to Alaska again!

Dave

Well I have another take on this believe it or not. Yes B&H and Amazon along with several other are good places and have good prices. Now, let me say I use NIKON stuff and have purchased $$$$ worth of stuff in St. Thomas and St. Maarten which is not grey market and comes with a US warranty. Last fall I purchased 2 very expensive Nikon lens in St. Maarten (by the way is cheaper than St. Thomas now). Both of them came with US warranties and both were much cheaper than NY so I am a happy camper (you can bargain to some degree in some stores). I am not saying there isn't grey market stuff around (surely there is) so you need to make sure. Sometimes the prices really aren't that much different so you need to do your homework before you go. There are times it if nice just to be able to buy something while you are on your cruise if the price is right. ONE major item to remember is you are only allowed so much duty free stuff but going to St. Thomas allows you to buy more (say $1600 vs. $800) and you must consider all your purchases. Yes you can always pay duty but again you need to factor that in.

Having said all that I just purchased my new Camera here and not in St. Maarten where (BTW) it is about $150 cheaper. The main reason was it cost more than I would be allowed for Duty Free and I am going to many other places but not St. Thomas and I just don't want to mess with customs. The other reason was I wanted to learn how to use all the new features before I left of course a lens is easier to figure out. Best of luck and if you think about buying there by all means you must do your homework first and know the price at home plus any shipping to determine whether you are getting a good price and as mentioned sometimes the difference isn't that much.

I have used B&H for years and their customer service is great. Also reguarding

the US Warranty from the islands. They claim to have US Warranty and even

have a warranty card. They are mostly gray markets. I had a friend who tried

to use the warranty from one he purchased in St marten and Nikon would not

help him as it was not US purchased.. Buyer beware is all I can say.

I have used B&H for years and their customer service is great. Also reguarding

the US Warranty from the islands. They claim to have US Warranty and even

have a warranty card. They are mostly gray markets. I had a friend who tried

to use the warranty from one he purchased in St marten and Nikon would not

help him as it was not US purchased.. Buyer beware is all I can say.

Good post.

Additional point read in a camera forum: The "USA" warranty on many items sold in the Caribbean is a third-party warranty from a US extended warranty provider. It's a "USA" warranty, but you need to have the item serviced through the issuer since the manufacturer won't honor it. B&H warranties it's grey-market items since the manufacturers won't service them directly, but it is up-front about it.

Another shady practice is to include a USA warranty card still warm from the laser printer!

I've stated several times that for the relatively minor price difference, I'll stick with the vendors I'm familiar with. Even if it was a few hundred dollars, I would factor in the amount of my personal time I might have to spend sorting out any issue that might arise.

This is, as usual, my opinion...people are free to roll the dice as they wish.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Archived