Room Service

LizD

I haven't cruised since I was a teenager, and I'm going on the Volendam to Alaska on my honeymoon in July!;)

I have a few questions about room service. What type of room service menu do they offer? Is there any way to get a bagged lunch that we can take with us on the days we have excursions? Do you have to tip for each time you get room service?

Thanks!

I haven't cruised since I was a teenager, and I'm going on the Volendam to Alaska on my honeymoon in July!;)

Congratulations on your wedding, and on having chosen such a wonderful way to enjoy your honeymoon!

I have a few questions about room service. What type of room service menu do they offer?

It's been posted in full several times - if you do a search you should be able to find it. Basically, there are the usual breakfast offerings; an assortment of salads and sandwiches, and a few hot entrees, for lunch; and a small but adequate dinner menu; plus a small assortment of 24-hour offerings such as sandwiches, milk-and-cookies, and a cheese plate. In addition, you can order dinner from the dining room menu, to be delivered to your room at any time of your choosing during dinner hours, but you have to call in the order within half an hour after the dining room opens.

Is there any way to get a bagged lunch that we can take with us on the days we have excursions?

Not as such. Some excursions include lunch or a snack. In Alaska, there are always places to eat lunch on shore - though of course, that's not included in the cruise price like the onboard food. Also I'm not sure whether local agricultural regulations in Alaska preclude taking food off the ship onto the shore - they do in some places, I'm just not sure about Alaska. That said, if you really want to, you can certainly get hold of the ingredients for a picnic lunch - fruit, cheese, cookies, etc. - or order a sandwich from room service - if you have a fridge you can even do this the night before. But I would advise you to check and make sure it's ok to take food off the ship first.

Do you have to tip for each time you get room service?

You don't HAVE to, but I think most people CHOOSE to. For just coffee or a snack, a dollar or two will do. For a full dinner, say $5. But other than the tip, room service is free.

Thanks!

You're very welcome. Have a GREAT cruise, and best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

If you go to this thread (below), you'll see the room service menu. Just scroll down a bit on page one and it's posted. I posted the Zuiderdam dinner and lunch menu, and someone else posted the room service menu (I copied it and posted it).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=690342

Congratulations...and have a wonderful cruise! :)

Archived