Disney cruise and guide dog

cjborne2

Ollie is a pacer so to get him started we had him walk in, across, then out a few times in order to get him to realize that it was OK to go there. There was a very under-used public deck right next to ours. I guess it could've been put out there as well. We've found out recently that a friend's friend was on the ship with us and that there was another service dog on board as well. We never saw the dog.

The step in wasn't too high. Maybe a foot or so? A lab or golden should have no trouble.

I'll post the report, or at least portions of it on these boards soon. It's mostly of the WDW portion of the trip but I do touch on the cruise too. I think it will be helpful for DisneyKidsDad.

I need all the help I can get. We've been to WDW around 12 times and have done 2 Disney cruises but these upcoming trips will be like going for the first time. I tend to research and plan the stuffing out of our trips. The only other thing that's making me a little nutty right now is that Disney doesn't have anything listed for shore excursions on Tortola yet. But it's still early (well maybe early for most people but I want it NOW!!)

CJ: That was so much fun.....You're a great traveler, with a lovely family. Thank you for sharing "Ollie" and your family travels with all of us!!!

I see that Ollie doesn't wear an SD vest or jacket. Has that ever proposed a problem for you? And, since Brenny's vest has zippered pockets for her potty bags, where do you keep yours?

Also, you mentioned that when you boarded the ship, they "upgraded" your cabin, where were you originally?

Ollie is a handsome guy! And, very lucky to have such a great family to live with! :)

When and where will the "Travels of Ollie" take you next?

Thanks CJ...what a great trip report. And a great perspective. Originally, I was on the fence about even getting our daughter a service dog and really on the fence about taking him/her to WDW. But now after reading some great things about CCI and vacationing with a SD, I'm almost looking forward to it. Not that I'm looking forward to spending two weeks training on Long Island. But I'm thinking that it will be a small price to pay for some great rewards.

DisneyKidsDad: Very small price!!!!! The training and the graduation will be a memory that will last a lifetime.....take lots and lots of pictures. You won't be sorry you did! It is hard work but the rewards are so unbelieveable!!!!!

Enjoy your many adventures with your future SD.....life will never be the same.....It will be better!!!!!!

DH has mentioned about possibly getting a "don't pet me, I'm working" vest but it really hasn't been a big issue. Occassionally there are pets without asking but most times people ask if they can pet him. Sometimes the answer is yes, but most times the answer is no with an explanation. It depends on the situation and who is asking (and DH's mood).

Ollie does have a small black pouch on the back of the harness with a gentle leader, extra bags, and his ID. There is also a fire hydrant bag holder attached to the leash.

When this trip was originally planned, we did not have the dog and really had no intention of getting one. We were on the 6th level in an inside state room. (I don't remember the category 10 or 11 maybe?) The room change happened after I started calling around to find out what paperwork I needed (which prompted me to post on these boards initially) and got in touch with Carol from the cruise line. We didn't ask for the switch. Within 30 minutes of my phone call, Carol called the travel agent, who called my MIL to make sure the switch was OK because we were all close to each other originally. So actually we knew in advance that our cabin had moved. We knew the room would have the veranda but didn't know it was an HC room.

Ollie's been a great addition. He loves to work and really did a great job in Disney. We commented after we returned that he really thrived on that trip. (They also traveled out of state the week before so he really worked hard for 3 weeks straight).

In addition to Disney and the Bahamas, in the year we've had him, he's been to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, Washington DC regularly, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Gettysburg, PA, and last weekend downtown Baltimore. We joke that he's seen more this past year with us than a lot of people see in a lifetime. One of these days I'm going to start a blog site for him.

DKD - To plan, you just need to think outside the box a little bit. You won't have the extreme heat or very hot pavement to deal with, but we brought the guide books for WDW, shoes, puppy training pads for just in case moments (we never used them but carry them), water bowl, food, treats, favorite toy and bone, extra bags and the bed chain. We measure out food in advance in ziploc bags. If you fly, make sure you spread the food out over several bags and carry some on with you (we did a 2 day supply). We've had a recent string of bad luck with luggage lately. In some ways packing for Ollie is like packing for another kid. He has his own packing list in my computer file.

Packing for Brenny is exactly the same....like packing for a child. Only this child doesn't care what I look like/doesn't talk back/never, never complains or asks, "are we there yet?"

Brenny has a wonderful work ethic and is so pleased to be by my side "anywhere" that she has become the consumate traveler!!!!!!! She doesn't fit under the seat in an airplane so we have to get the "bulkhead" seat. And, so far that has not proposed a problem.

Again, thanks for sharing all your good insights and information about Ollie!

The bed chain is a 3 ft (or so) lead that is attached to an eye hook in the wall. The dog is tethered to that at night so he doesn't wander. He's not crated at night. (Although we do have one, that's his "time out" place when he wants to get away from the kids). The Seeing Eye trains them this way. Even though he's attached to the wall, he really does have a much bigger range of motion than you'd think he'd have.

Funny little story here, when DH and Ollie traveled for work recently, their flights and luggage were delayed. Once they finally got to their destination (sans luggage), DH got the chain out of his bag and put it on the dresser. Ollie saw it and pawed at it (he does not normally paw at stuff out of reach). He was ready for bed.

Just another question to ask CCI. The list grows longer. It will be interesting to see how CCI trains service dogs (non-seeing eye dogs)

for the same type of thing. I am thinking that because our daughter can't walk, I would want the dog to be able to get out of her room at night to get us if she would need something.

Disney: Is your daughter going to be in a room alone, with the dog? If so, the dog should be trained how to open every type of door handle.

Brenda has a hard time with "round" door handles. Her favorite being the kind that she can use her paw on by just lifting one of her front legs and using her paw to lower or push up the handle. She then uses her nose and shoulders to open the door.

On round knobs we have to keep the door "ajar" (just a bit) and we attach a leash to the knob....we give her the command "grab" or "get" and then "tug" and she pulls the door open (with her mouth)....we make sure that the door does not slam shut, by keeping it open, even if it's a tiny bit with an object and when she needs to return she will just push it open with her nose and body or we use the command "push" (all taught to her at CCI-with my assistance!)

She was also taught to switch the lights on. Either with her paw or mouth, with another simple command "light"! To push the button on an elevator "push-button", to give money at a counter and to retrieve the merchandise off the counter.... and so on and so on.......All with simple one or two word commands.

She can pick things off the floor and get stuff out of the fridge. She knows over 100 commands.

Okay, okay, I'm bragging.......These amazing animals can be taught to do anything you ask them to do.......consistency and practice are the secrets to it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At home, she will be sleeping in her own room with the dog. I figure we will be changing door knobs to the lever type on alot of doors. It's funny that you mention getting things out of the fridge. I keep kidding my daughter that the dog better be able to get me a beer. Nothing wrong with bragging about your dog. That's what dog owners do.

As I have no experience with any working dog other than Ollie, I find it amazing that Brenda can do all of that! I am still amazed by what Ollie can do, dealing with trains, traffic, and crowds on a daily basis.

If you find out what the "get beer" command is, I'm sure DH would love to know. His dog doesn't get much other than his favorite toy or ball :) I'll trade that, though, for getting DH safely to and from work etc.

As Roz knows, (I've posted on another thread re: service dogs). I work with service dogs in training as a volunteer handler(not the trainer). When our dogs graduate they know abt 100 commands including all mentioned by Roz.Many of our seizure response dogs can be further trained to get the phone, get meds from a special place and even alert on an automated call system.

Training camp is such a bonding time for the recepient and their new dog, and the recepient and other recepient. Some of the kids form special bonds becuase they are the norm at camp, not the kid in the wheelchair!!

Best of luck with your training camp, please come back and post abt it.:)

Disney: Lever type door knobs are perfect. Good luck! And, you can train your Service Dog to "get" and "give" with simple practice, practice, practice.

CJ:Getting a can of beer and bringing it to you is the easy part. It's holding it in his/her mouth without biting into it that's the hard part. In the beginning we had a lot of wet floor and a dog who couldn't stop licking it up!!!! That was a sight, it was hard not to laugh!!!!

Hey, Sunshine: I love your stories and their mostly happy endings!!!! You've been very kind not to tell us about the unhappy ones!!!! And, I know there's a lot of those too!!!! :o

Here's the link to the full trip report from Ollie's perspective. It's mostly about the parks but I do talk about the cruise too so I think it should be appropriate.

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/forums/trip-reports-member-reviews/17082-disney-dog-s-eye-view.html

Thank you so much for the link. I enjoyed every word and your pictures!

Disney: Are you going to Team Training in Oceanside or Santa Rosa?

And, can you share some of the pictures of the dogs and their names?

When I was in Team Training we were told NOT do this, it was so "hugh-hush!" I think they've loosened-up a bit! Although the puppy raiser community is a pretty tight one! Thank goodness for them!!!!!

They are very cute! I know your concerns about the name. There was a Precious that was ready when DH went to class. I don't think she went in his class though. As long as the pup does its job, it doesn't reallly matter. We call him "Ollie Boh" or "Boh" sometimes, short for "Ollie Bohballie the Wonder Pup". The H is silent. It's a tribute to a local beverage, Natty Boh.

Ollie has a sister named Oasis who is also a Seeing Eye dog.

Regarding the trip report, thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed reading. I enjoyed writing it too.

Disney: You're back east....of course you're not going to Oceanside or Santa Rosa...Although, there were two folks who flew in from New Jersey to be in one of our classes.

I love the pictures of the September class and those names! You can always turn the name around a bit.....We rarely call "Brenda" by her name.....And, when people ask what her name is, even I giggle when I tell them! It sounds more like a little old lady!!!!!!

I love "Tolsen"! And, poor "Clayton" what did someone say to make upset him so much?

Please let us know which one is yours. I love them all!!!!!!!!!! :)

Disney: You're back east....of course you're not going to Oceanside or Santa Rosa...Although, there were two folks who flew in from New Jersey to be in one of our classes.

I love the pictures of the September class and those names! You can always turn the name around a bit.....We rarely call "Brenda" by her name.....And, when people ask what her name is, even I giggle when I tell them! It sounds more like a little old lady!!!!!!

I love "Tolsen"! And, poor "Clayton" what did someone say to make upset him so much?

Please let us know which one is yours. I love them all!!!!!!!!!! :)

We tried to get them to let us go to the Orlando training center. We figured we would have more to do during our down time. But no luck. :D

I promise you, with all the testing that's done....You all will be pretty tired and thankful that there's just time enough to relax and not run-around!

With learning dog behavior and theory and training and just plain bonding with your partner.....you'll be plenty busy!

Try and enjoy it and, again, take lots of pictures!!!!

Archived