Carnival Freedom 1/19-26, The Blogger's Cruise: A novella in multiple parts

divetrash

Hindsight is 20/20, but in my case I think hindsight is 80 proof...

So let me sum up my thoughts on this cruise particularly for anyone who doesn't wish to slog their way through my story.

Embarkation and Debarkation at the new Miami Terminal is the easiest I've encountered yet.

The ship itself:

I liked it. Yeah, the decorating is a bit outlandish, but it's not something I ever pay a lot of attention to. It was also easy for me to navigate since two of my previous cruises have been on the Valor, the same class ships.

My room:

Plenty of space and storage especially since I was alone. I like having at least a port hole. I usually don't mind being all the way forward. But this particular room was sooooo noisy on the port mornings. Between the thrusters moving us into position, the anchor chain dropping and the loud banging coming from below when the seas were really rough, it's not a cabin for late sleepers.

But my room steward, Victor, was very good and very friendly. He kept the room neat and gave me plenty of peace and quiet to deal with my sea sickness.

The food:

Strangely enough, food was my last concern on this ship. Between meeting everybody the first day and being so sick the second day, I only ate two meals in my first two days on the ship. Dinners in the dining room I always enjoyed. I had the lamb, the duck, the beef wellington, the grouper, the chilled fruit soups, and many other things I can't remember. It was all done well. And the dining room service, (with the exception of the bar service) was terrific.

The Sun King Supper Club is definitely worth the price. I had the trio of escargot, the spinach salad and the lamb. Way yummy. The service was a bit overbearing, but all in all an enjoyable experience.

I continue to be let down by the desserts, (although I'm always hopeful!) including the supper club dessert. But that's just me.

The few times I ate at the Freedom Restaurant on the Lido, the food was decent. The scrambled eggs at breakfast, often leave something to be desired. The pastrami at the deli isn't terrible. And I like the Du Chevre (goat cheese pizza) for a late night snack. Lines and dirty tables never seemed to be an issue for me, but then I think I never really hit it at peak times.

The crew:

All seemed very friendly. The couple of dealings I had with the Purser's desk, (checking and onboard credit, picking up things that were left for me, and nabbing some dramamine, were all handled professionally and efficiently and with a smile.

The Ports:

This cruise really was more about the cruise itself for me. A chance to relax and cut loose with not a lot of planning.

I didn't get off in Grand Cayman, maybe next time I will. I have enjoyed my previous visits there, but this time I just wanted to relax.

Cozumel - I had a really nice day in Cozumel, just hanging out and eating and drinking with friends. Perhaps next time I will explore it further, I've only been once before and spent the day at Chakanab Park and did the dolphin seim. And hopefully next time the skies won't open up and pour on us.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica - I was all set to love this port. A lot of what bothers other people doesn't usually bother me, particularly the part about feeling unsafe. I like to think I have enough street smarts and common sense to keep myself safe anywhere. So I got off the ship really ready to love this port. But it really lost something in translation for me. No I never felt unsafe or overwhelmed by the hawkers. I just didn't get the same kind of chill-out and have fun vibe that I've gotten from less developed places like Roatan Island. If I ever get back there, I will definitely get off the ship, but I will book a tour with a reputable local, such as Mark Morris or Peat Taylor, so I can see the charm of the island through their eyes.

Oh and I really liked having one less port day than my past 3 cruises. Much more relaxing.

The entertainment:

I enjoyed both the big production shows, the Big Easy and Ticket to Ride. I have to give the edge to Ticket to Ride. That was a lot of fun and it looked like the singers and dancers really enjoyed it as well. Also, loved, loved, loved the comedy juggling show with Goronwy Thom. I realize that being from the UK, it's more practical for him to do the European runs, but he's a great fit and personality for the Caribbean runs as well. If he appears on your ship, make sure you get there. He's fantastic.

The piano bar was decent. A nice way to pass the time.... Oh okay, who am I kidding? The piano bars on Carnival are part of what keeps me coming back to Carnival, I'm a junkie. From my very first one on the Inspiration back in 2003, the piano bar has become my home away from home. It's a comfortable and easy place to go and have fun particularly if you find yourself on your own. And Ron Pass is simply one of the best that Carnival has. Warm, engaging and terrifically talented, his piano bar is a "can't miss".

John Heald:

I have to admit that the cruise director has never really made much of an impact on my cruising before. I can definitely understand why people choose to sail with him over and over again. He's very funny and friendly, an expert at engaging people in his silliness and fun, even the same old schtick that he's been using for years, he manages to make fresh enough to fool first timers. I enjoyed meeting him and found him very accessible, his personality that shines through on his blog is even bigger and more engaging in person. I think one of his biggest talents and part of why he is so successful is that he's very good at making you feel like an old friend even if he can't quite place your face or name. But he also has an excellent memory for people as well.

The one thing that I will say, is that he stretched himself entirely too thin on this cruise. Talking to some of my fellow Bloggers, they felt a little let down. Events that were supposed to be for the Bloggers were opened to everyone, with the exception of the Welcome Party. And with John being the CD for the whole ship, a lot of the access the Bloggers had signed on for was taken away. But, live and learn. I'm sure John and the powers that be will be discussing what worked and what didn't in their preparations for the 2nd Blogger's Cruise in February 2009.

Overall:

I had a great time on this cruise. Even with my fear of cruising solo, I went in expecting to have a great time and I was not let down. For me, the most important part of being part of the Blogger's cruise was a chance to meet all these people that I'd been corresponding with and having fun with over the internet. I met some truly fabulous people and made a bunch of new friends. And THAT is an experience I will treasure forever.

So here's to Big Ed's Evil Bloggers crew! Thank you for a great time! I am proud to know you and to forever be known as Evil Princess Laura, the sweet and innocent... (y'all can stop laughing at any time now!)

Laura, I also enjoyed your review. I do have a question for you, though...do you think you would cruise solo again if it wasn't with a large group, like the bloggers?

I am considering going solo this fall (everyone else has work and school obligations!), but it would be on a random sailing and not with a group. I'm a little nervous about it, but I am thinking about the Carnival Victory's all-port itinerary, so there aren't any sea days to feel lonesome! :)

Laura, I also enjoyed your review. I do have a question for you, though...do you think you would cruise solo again if it wasn't with a large group, like the bloggers?

I am considering going solo this fall (everyone else has work and school obligations!), but it would be on a random sailing and not with a group. I'm a little nervous about it, but I am thinking about the Carnival Victory's all-port itinerary, so there aren't any sea days to feel lonesome! :)

Jimbug, you know I had to pause and think about that one for a moment. But I think that yes I definitely would go solo. I did meet some people outside the Blogger's group as well.

I think that if I did it however, I would try and get really active on a roll call, here on the boards and try and meet people that way first.

On my previous three cruises I was with a teenager so I was pretty much alone in the evenings which is how I found myself in the piano bar. It's a great way to meet other people and feel like you are taking part. Easier than the disco. I also got friendly with my dinner tablemates and often joined them at shows and other events.

I find if you are openly and friendly most people will respond in kind.

Have fun!

Laura

Archived