Best time to travel

shellieg

Hi,

We are thinking of taking a cruise to the Panama Canal (full transit) over Christmas and New Years. Is this a good time of year to go? Is the weather better later in the year? We were looking at the Island Princess leaving Ft. Lauderdale and ending in Acapulco. Also, is it better to go full transit or partial.

Thanks for any help

Shellieg

We were on the Island Princess from San Juan to Acapulco early in December 2007. Everything was great--ship, weather, ports, etc. I've done 3 full transits and 1 partial. The full is definately the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking to book a Panama Canal cruise in 2009. What is the best month for weather and prices to booK??? If I do a cruise from Miami back to Miami will I go through the canal completely?? Or do I need to do one from Miami to Southern CA area? Any help???

We are looking to book a Panama Canal cruise in 2009. What is the best month for weather and prices to booK??? If I do a cruise from Miami back to Miami will I go through the canal completely?? Or do I need to do one from Miami to Southern CA area? Any help???

If you do the Miami-Miami cruise, your ship will not go through the canal completely, these are called "partial transits." Most of these cruises do offer a tour that will take you through most of the canal. You will travel to the Pacific side and go through the two locks there as well as transit the Gaillard Cut. The only portion of the canal you will not travel is the portion from Gatun to Gamboa, a distance of around 20 miles. This is the lake portion of the canal and it is worthwhile, however you will have seen the majority of the canal. This is all based on my assumption that you are considering one of the partial transits out of Miami. These cruises enter the canal, lock through Gatun Locks and passengers are tendered off the ship to various tours. The passengers will rejoin the ship when it docks in Cristobal. Carnival offers cruises that only stop in Colon and does not actually enter the canal.

The best time for prices is generally between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We did a complete transit on the Island Princess on Dec 4, 2007--San Juan to Acapulco. The prices were great and the weather was also. If you do a round trip from Miami, and don't take the ferry shore excursion (a ferry that goes all the way to the Pacific and a bus back) you will miss a significant portion of the canal.

Royal Caribbean has a full transit trip Jan 4, 2009 for 14 days.

It starts in Los Angeles (San Pedro) and ends in the Dominican Republic.

It is a smaller ship - the "Vision of the Seas", and they are moving it from the West Coast to the Caribbean, so the trip is cheaper. I just got back from the Mexican Riviera 7 night on the Vision, and it is a lovely ship. Had a fabulous time. Food was delicious, wonderful staff, and sparkling clean ship.

Holly

Archived