Is a higher floor better on the Costa Mediterranea?

NiceFLGuy

This is probably a rhetorical question...but...

On March 1st, we leave on our second cruise with Costa (the first departed 4/29/07 - on the Magica). This year, we got a Veranda room (Category 11) on the very back of the ship. We are on the TESEO deck (4th). Is it worth the trouble to try to get moved from that room?

:confused:

I was thinking that it'd be pretty cool to be at the very back...and we ARE on the floor with the lifeboats...:eek:...so that will make the drill much easier...but just wondered if higher would be better.

We were on the 7th floor last year, but on the side of the ship. We (obviously) had a great time.

Thanks for any advice you might have! I can't wait!!!

countdown.pl?name=NiceFLGuy&date=3-1-2008&image=Beach-2&text=Woo Hoo!!&ship=Costa Mediterranea

Hey NiceFLguy,

We have a "Nice" roll call already started. Planning a M&G on day 1, we would love to have you along.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=622408

As far as the cabin goes, I really have no idea as we always book lower categories. I do know from reading these boards that the rear balconies are much coveted and many book long in advance just to secure one of these.

This is probably a rhetorical question...but...

On March 1st, we leave on our second cruise with Costa (the first departed 4/29/07 - on the Magica). This year, we got a Veranda room (Category 11) on the very back of the ship. We are on the TESEO deck (4th). Is it worth the trouble to try to get moved from that room?

:confused:

I was thinking that it'd be pretty cool to be at the very back...and we ARE on the floor with the lifeboats...:eek:...so that will make the drill much easier...but just wondered if higher would be better.

We were on the 7th floor last year, but on the side of the ship. We (obviously) had a great time.

Thanks for any advice you might have! I can't wait!!!

countdown.pl?name=NiceFLGuy&date=3-1-2008&image=Beach-2&text=Woo Hoo!!&ship=Costa Mediterranea

You may feel a bit more movement at the back of the ship and if that doesnt bother you, then go for it.

Myself, my favourite cabins are mid ship and sandwiched between two other cabin decks (less noise)

Almost straight from the commander (Russo) of the Costa Concordia - when asked what would be the best for rough sea - he said "mid-ship lower levels" - actually he said "Mezza nave, ponti inferiori" -it was all in Italian...Our TA suggested the same, or if higher, towards the bow. The stern is bumpier. We had some rough sea, (Jan. 25th/26th) our balcony suite was on 7th deck towards the prow/bow, didn't bother us at all, neither noise, nor mor movement But yours are coveted...

Thanks for your replies - I just booked our trip last week, so it sounds like I got lucky to get a Veranda at the back. Yea.

For all you non-Floridians, it has been a BEAUTIFUL week here. Clear skies, dry, and almost eighty every day. :D Here's to smooth seas in March!

I released two PS on the aft for the March 15 voyage last week (not sad because we moved to two aft GS suites!)

Did you happen to pick up those cabins? I know they were gone in a day or two.

We're cruising on the 3/1/08 voyage, so I didn't get yours. Did you have any concerns about being the aft cabins? The suites were all sold out when I booked this trip (last week). I checked the floorplan and it looks like the dining room is below us and cabins are above us.

Enjoy your suites!! :cool:

We are four "oldish" teachers and we plan to live well in our suites!

I would always choose aft over any other location. I am not prone to sea sickness so motion isn't really an issue - and my family friends have never complained either. I love the privacy of the aft and the peacefulness of watching the wake. Typically aft balconies are much larger than the others - ours is almost 300 sq ft!

Have a great time!!

Hello NiceFLGuy,

My husband and I are also cruising on the MED in March, I thought I read in the brochure that some of the 4th level had an obstructed view from the lifeboats. I am sure somebody on here can verify this for you.

Have a great trip.:)

Safull,

Welcome to the CruiseCritic boards, noticed it was your first post. Lots to learn and share on these boards. What date are you sailing? We have a roll call started already for the 1st of March. You can find the link in one of the first posts in this thread.

If not find your roll call.

Again, welcome!

Hello NiceFLGuy,

My husband and I are also cruising on the MED in March, I thought I read in the brochure that some of the 4th level had an obstructed view from the lifeboats. I am sure somebody on here can verify this for you.

Have a great trip.:)

Lifeboats are on the sides (port and starboard) so there is no obstruction for aft balconies

7a cabins have partially obstructed balconies. Basically the top of the lifeboats come up a little higher (Just a wee bit) than the balcony railing. great way to get a balcony for a better price. So basically if you're standing up looking out no problem, sitting down you'd have some obstruction.

Cheers!

Niceguy

we will be on the same cruise! and we have a room on the back...a few floors above you...we were on this boat last year and had a good time....we had a rear room on another ship (oosterdam) and really enjoyed it. the balconies are bigger. you doo feel more vibration because the screwws are below you, but for the most part its not that noticable. i like sitting on the balcony and watching the sea!....

email me at LORBO@aol.com if you have more questions

Archived