Do you need a passport for Costa Rica?

jemingway

I am under the impression you do not need a passport on any cruise that departs from US soil. I go in January & do not have one.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/cruiseDocsFaq.do;jsessionid=0000v5lZYdxr4nWtHLHsz90t1nG:v29bc620#8

I never heard that. There are cruises that go from Ft Lauderdale to South America and you need a passport for SA. However, according to AAA you do not need a passport to visit the Panama Canal by cruise ship but it is still highly advisable to have one.

It used to be be possible to travel to many places with just a birth certificate, but many countries ahve stepped up their security requirements. Obviously, if you stay on the ship, you should have no problems. I recommend you check with your cruise line, and see what their requiements are. They will know what you need to go ashore, and have that factored in to what they need you to bring to get on the ship.

I also recommend you get a passport. It's better to have one and not need one than the other way around. And it's a pain to try to get an expedited delivery - do not put your vacation at risk this way, it's not worth it.

RC's website above says its not necessary for cruises that they consider domestic (leaving from us soil). MyTA for my PC cruise also says all we need is birth cert. This is my 3rd cruise and haven't needed a passport yet. (Hope I'm not jinxing self);) I've also done an all inclusive trip to cancun and no passport was needed.

Archived