Possible Food Allergic Reactions

dcwcvg1

My husband and I are taking our 12 year old son on his first cruise in May-June. My son is big on trying out the sushi and other seafood items on board. He has never had an allergic reaction, but he also hasn't had the oppurtunity to really try anything out of the ordinary here in Cinti, Ohio. He has tried some sushi and seafood (Red Lobster) but that is it. Does anyone know if it would be safe for him to try all the new things or should we limit him incase he does come across something he is allegic to and wait to have him try it at home first?

As the mom of 2 eating machines, I don't think you have anything to worry about. By the age of 12 you would know by now if your son has any food alergies.

The food on cruise ships is just like the food that you get at home, but with more variety. Encourage your son to try everything - you might be surprised at what he likes! Thru cruising, my boys found out that they love escargot, calamari, lamb and veal -- 4 things that make me want to puke! They never would've known if they weren't exposed to it on a cruise. (And we're from a tiny little town in South Carolina...you're from a major city!)

So don't worry about reactions...if something 'strange' happens, you're just a few steps away from the infirmary anyway. Let your son eat away!

I agree with the above posters. My husband has nut allergies and we always travel with Benadryl or something similar...in case he feels something coming on. If you're really paranoid, you could toss some in your bag.

Regarding the sushi, most would say that it's not "real" sushi. Not the raw fish kind, anyway. Still tasty for those of us who aren't purists...but likely nothing risky.

The sushi on the ship is usually not real sushi. It's usually cooked already, maybe you'll get tuna or something, but it's not as great a variety. Besides, what's the difference if he tries something on the ship or tries it at home? Encourage him to try new foods, to order something that he doesn't know what it is just to try it. Don't hold him back because of a small possibility that he might have an allergy.

BTW, does he currently have any major food allergies that would make you nervous? I know sometimes people who are allergic to one thing might be more allergic to something else, but if he's fine, I say let him try anything and everything.

Thanks to all for the replies. My son does not have any food allerigies, thank goodness. I feel better now and I am sure he will be more than willing to try it all :o). Guess I am just an over protective mom, hey but aren't we all at some time?? Thanks again and Eastern Caribbean here we come.:D

Archived