Things to see when you have a car

carib123

We are renting a car fom telerin, which I hear is very good. Poppy will deliver the car to the pier. My question is this with a car what do you consider the must see /do things while on the island. any input is appreciated:)

You can see the entire island in about 4 - 5 hrs. South is the salt peirs which from a distance looks like mounds of snow. The red and white slay huts and the old light house. Flamingos but only form a distance. Bring a long range lens for the camera. On the windward side you can find old indian caverns. You will need a 4X4 to get to washington park. When you rent the car ask them!!

Bob

You don't say whether or not you are in Bonaire for a full day vs. half day or if you like to snorkel. The very best Bonaire has to offer is below the waterline.

I have been to Bonaire six times (for at least a week each time) and just returned last weekend so I know it pretty well. I am going with the assumption that you are there all day.

First off, you will have time to do the park, or the island, but not both. The park has bumpy dirt roads and it takes at least four hours to do justice to it. If you decide to do the park make sure your vehicle is rugged and has a spare tire.

If you choose the remaining island the following is a possibility:

Head North along the coastal road. The drive will be very scenic once you pass the resort area. If you snorkel or swim you can pull over at places such as "1000 Steps" or "Ol Blue". These are dive sites that are easily recognizable by the painted yellow rocks on the side of the road with their names on them. The two I mentioned are great for bathers and snorkelers as well as divers.

Once you pass Karpata you can make a right turn towards Rincon or continue along the coast to make a later right turn towards Rincon (this will not be confusing, there are not a lot of roads up there). The second route takes you past Gotomeer, which is a major breeding ground and general hangout for pink flamingos. If you choose the first route there will be flamingo sightings possible later in the drive.

After you pass through Rincon (a nice village that was once occupied by slaves working the salt flats) you will near the East coast. Look for signs pointing you to Boca Onima. You will turn left onto a dirt road along the coast that will take you to ancient Indian inscriptions.

After the caves return to the main road and follow it south (left turn) back to Kralendijk (where the ship is). When you start getting into town look for signs pointing to the left that will lead you to either Lac Bay or Sorobon (same place). Nearing Lac Bay be sure to look for flamingos in the mangroves along the road. Once you make it to Lac Bay pass Sorobon (nudie resort) and Jibe City to the last place on the right (there are only about four places here). Park, go in, and have a beer or Coke while watching the windsurfers at one of the top places in the world for this sport. It's also a great place to wade into the water to cool off.

After you leave Lac Bay - at the end of the little road that took you into this area, take a left instead of a right (which was the way you came). This will take you south around the bottom of the island. It's a beautiful drive and once you pass the bottom you will see the lighthouse, the slave huts (sad) and the salt flats and salt mountains. You will also pass Pink Beach (Bonaire's only real beach) and Windsock (the swimming and snorkeling area at the base of the airport runway). Once again, look for the yellow painted rocks.

If you only have a half day you could do the North (road north and back to Kralendijk) or South (Kralenkijk to Lac Bay and around the bottom) route. If you look at a map of Bonaire hopefully this will make sense.

Sorry if this is TMI! :D I just got back and am suffering from PBD (post Bonaire depression). I could go on for hours.

We are oly there for half a day 11-7, so we wil have to decide which half of the island to see. yes I like to snorkel, whikle my wife likes to soak up rays

Thank you for all the great info which helps clarify thinhgs for me

• 2 weeks later...
You don't say whether or not you are in Bonaire for a full day vs. half day or if you like to snorkel. The very best Bonaire has to offer is below the waterline.

I have been to Bonaire six times (for at least a week each time) and just returned last weekend so I know it pretty well. I am going with the assumption that you are there all day.

First off, you will have time to do the park, or the island, but not both. The park has bumpy dirt roads and it takes at least four hours to do justice to it. If you decide to do the park make sure your vehicle is rugged and has a spare tire.

If you choose the remaining island the following is a possibility:

Head North along the coastal road. The drive will be very scenic once you pass the resort area. If you snorkel or swim you can pull over at places such as "1000 Steps" or "Ol Blue". These are dive sites that are easily recognizable by the painted yellow rocks on the side of the road with their names on them. The two I mentioned are great for bathers and snorkelers as well as divers.

Once you pass Karpata you can make a right turn towards Rincon or continue along the coast to make a later right turn towards Rincon (this will not be confusing, there are not a lot of roads up there). The second route takes you past Gotomeer, which is a major breeding ground and general hangout for pink flamingos. If you choose the first route there will be flamingo sightings possible later in the drive.

After you pass through Rincon (a nice village that was once occupied by slaves working the salt flats) you will near the East coast. Look for signs pointing you to Boca Onima. You will turn left onto a dirt road along the coast that will take you to ancient Indian inscriptions.

After the caves return to the main road and follow it south (left turn) back to Kralendijk (where the ship is). When you start getting into town look for signs pointing to the left that will lead you to either Lac Bay or Sorobon (same place). Nearing Lac Bay be sure to look for flamingos in the mangroves along the road. Once you make it to Lac Bay pass Sorobon (nudie resort) and Jibe City to the last place on the right (there are only about four places here). Park, go in, and have a beer or Coke while watching the windsurfers at one of the top places in the world for this sport. It's also a great place to wade into the water to cool off.

After you leave Lac Bay - at the end of the little road that took you into this area, take a left instead of a right (which was the way you came). This will take you south around the bottom of the island. It's a beautiful drive and once you pass the bottom you will see the lighthouse, the slave huts (sad) and the salt flats and salt mountains. You will also pass Pink Beach (Bonaire's only real beach) and Windsock (the swimming and snorkeling area at the base of the airport runway). Once again, look for the yellow painted rocks.

If you only have a half day you could do the North (road north and back to Kralendijk) or South (Kralenkijk to Lac Bay and around the bottom) route. If you look at a map of Bonaire hopefully this will make sense.

Sorry if this is TMI! :D I just got back and am suffering from PBD (post Bonaire depression). I could go on for hours.

Dayton Girl,

We are considering a land vacation there for this summer. Can you recommend a hotel? Dining?

D.

Dayton Girl,

We are considering a land vacation there for this summer. Can you recommend a hotel? Dining?

Excellent idea! From your name I can safely asume that you're divers.

Most dive resorts are very laid back - not fancy but that's not what you're there for.

For a straight on dive vacation look at Buddy's or Captain Don's. For a little more luxury with not much more money look at Belmar. Dining is awesome on Bonaire.

You should take a look at www.bonairetalk.com There are separate sections for trip reports/accommodations/dining, etc.

Bonaire is my favorite place on earth. :)

Disclaimer - we are currently in the process of buying a place there so I am prejudiced but we wouldn't buy there if it wasn't awesome!.

Archived