Black Sand Beaches

bug_dan

Not exactly a new topic, but was wondering if there are any black sand beaches on the Kona side of the Big Island??? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Dan

Infinity Hawaii
11/14/2004

When my wife and I were there last April, we rented a car in Kona, and drove Rte 11 around the south end of the Big Island. We made a side trip to South Point (don't tell the car rental company, that road is off limits), stopped to visit the lava fields, and ended up at the most famous black sand beach, Punalu'u, on the southeast side of the island. It is very accessable to the road. Then, we drove back, got back in plenty of time. About 120 miles round-trip from Kona, and well worth the trip.

Millenium - Trans Panama Canal, 4/2004
Brilliance of the Seas - W. Caribbean 12/2003
Infinity - Hawaii 4/2003
Jubilee - W. Caribbean 4/2002
Inspiration - S Caribbean 12/1996
General Henry Gibbons- Puerto Rico 1959
Pvt William H Thomas - Puerto Rico 1956
(OK, these last two weren't really 'cruises')

Hi there,

I was in Kona about 2 years ago and made my way to a black sand beach which was about a 25 minute shuttle ride away from where you get off the ship. I can't remember the name of the beach off the top of my head but some people called it "Turtle Beach".... there is a shuttle you can take and will stop where all the hotels are along the strip and there are lots of beaches there. Be careful... the sand gets really hot!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fendbass:
When my wife and I were there last April, we rented a car in Kona, and drove Rte 11 around the south end of the Big Island. We made a side trip to South Point (don't tell the car rental company, that road is off limits), stopped to visit the lava fields, and ended up at the most famous black sand beach, Punalu'u, on the southeast side of the island. It is very accessable to the road. Then, we drove back, got back in plenty of time. About 120 miles round-trip from Kona, and well worth the trip.

I'll second that. It is a very nice park and beautiful. So easy to get to. Not on the road down to South Point...just to clarify.

Sammy

Archived