St. John half day or all day? Need Opinions

chipeneezer

We will be headed to St. Thomas next month and I am thinking about taking the ferry over to St. John for at least part of the day. I checked cruisecal and there will be four big ships in port that day so beaches could be crowded.

On my possible itinerary are:

Saphire Beach or Coki Beach (not both)

Lunch at Bubba's Love Shack

Trunk Bay, St John

Should I do St. John all day or just half day? If I only do half day, should I go in the morning or afternoon?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chipeneezer

I will be interested to hear some feedback on your posting. We will be in St John on the Caribbean Princess on the 20th of March. On that day there will be 5 mega ships in port. We plan on visiting Trunk Bay in St. John. From my reading of postings I have learned that Princess uses the Crown Bay Port. I need to know what is the best transportation route to St John. I hear there are a couple of options. If anyone can be of assistance here, your help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Mickeyuk1 - Yes Princess ships use Crown Bay dock. There are two ferry departure points; Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook.

Charlotte Amalie; closer to Crown Bay so shorter taxi drive, 1.7 miles, 8-10 minutes in low traffic; with traffic longer. 5 ships in port there will traffic downtown (Charlotte Amalie is downtown). Ferry takes about 40-45 minutes. Has a regular schedule but not as frequent as Red Hook ferry. Fare is $10 one way.

Red Hook; longer taxi drive, 30-35 minutes in low/moderate traffic, with traffic longer. Ferry takes about 15 minutes. Has a regular schedule, every hour on the hour basically. Fare is $5 one way.

More information check the ferry schedules: http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&p=virgin+islands+ferry+schedules&SpellState=n-1871522059_q-WBJ.2HZ4aetvgLvdr.jZ%2FQAAAA%40%40

Chipeneezer - while St. John is close it is another island so why not head there first and be back on St. Thomas in the afternoon. If you planned on coming back on say the 1pm ferry and you happened to miss it or it was late you know you have time to get back. Also if you are flexiable you could plan to head to St. John for half day and if you get there and want to stay all day you can. If you plan on half day what you can do is come back on the Red Hook ferry, Sapphire is just a 1-2 minute drive from Red Hook. And then head back to the ship from Sapphire.

--Islander

Mickeyuk1 - Yes Princess ships use Crown Bay dock. There are two ferry departure points; Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook.

Charlotte Amalie; closer to Crown Bay so shorter taxi drive, 1.7 miles, 8-10 minutes in low traffic; with traffic longer. 5 ships in port there will traffic downtown (Charlotte Amalie is downtown). Ferry takes about 40-45 minutes. Has a regular schedule but not as frequent as Red Hook ferry. Fare is $10 one way.

Red Hook; longer taxi drive, 30-35 minutes in low/moderate traffic, with traffic longer. Ferry takes about 15 minutes. Has a regular schedule, every hour on the hour basically. Fare is $5 one way.

Thanks Islander! What would be the taxi fare to each location?

Archived