Grand Bahama Island - short stay

jpritcha

Cruising on the Spirit July 20, 2008 and the itinerary has changed. Unfortunately we are now skipping the private island which we were really looking forward to and that has been replaced with visiting Grand Bahama Island from 7:00 am - 1:00 pm which is a total waste of time. Anyone have any suggestions for anything to do while in this port for such a short time?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We will be in the same situation as you. I booked the cruise last week and just found out about the change in ports from these boards. Not sure what there is to do, I guess we will find out. I am just going to think positive and hope for the best. Happy Cruising.

Dot

Cruising on the Spirit July 20, 2008 and the itinerary has changed. Unfortunately we are now skipping the private island which we were really looking forward to and that has been replaced with visiting Grand Bahama Island from 7:00 am - 1:00 pm which is a total waste of time. Anyone have any suggestions for anything to do while in this port for such a short time?

we were in Grand Bahama from 9 to 3 (about the same amount of time). after we got off the ship, we got into the taxi line. they match you up with others if you don't have a group of 8. it is only $5.00 pp for the ride to Port Lucaya (about 20 minutes). there are some free beaches and a shopping area. the beach was very nice and uncrowded. After you are done, you can go back to the taxi area and they'll get you in another group so that you pay $5.00 pp to get back to the ship. We spent about 3 hours there. it was plenty of time and a nice day. also, the taxi driver gave us quite a bit of information about the area.

We are also sailing the Spirit in May. I booked one of the ships shore excurtions called Sea Safari Snorkel. It sounds like alot of fun. The boat has a 30ft slide and a rock climbing wall, music, fish feeding, a bar & grill, and a stop for snorkeling at a shallow reef. Check it out, its only $45pp, and $39 for kids. And if there's time they will make a stop at the port lucaya marketplace before the return transfer to the ship.

I looked up the company's website and the charge for regular passage is $40pp, so that extra $5 NCL is charging is OK in my book, cause if we are late in getting back, the ship will wait for us.

Have a great cruise!:)

Archived