Any Ship taking Dawn's Spot in San Diego?

captpeachy

This might have been brought up before but I missed it. I know that Dawn will not be back for Mexico next year out of San Diego. Will there be another ship or is LA the only option?

There was a couple of threads on this back in January, with the boards so slow it took me a while and a couple of error codes to find this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=702293&highlight=DAWN

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=703063&highlight=DAWN

Parent Company Carnival investing $12 Million in new Terminal for San Diego, I sure hope there's a future for Princess in San Diego.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/local;id=10619

Quote:

January 9, 2008

The San Diego Port Commission has voted in favor of spending $23 million on a new cruise ship terminal at the foot of Broadway. However it remains unclear where that money will come from. KPBS reporter Alison St John has more.

Carnival Cruises has agreed to pay $12 million towards the cruise ship terminal, but that will only pay for an unsightly prefab warehouse building, which would ruin the visionary plans for San Diego's downtown waterfront.

Critics object to building any terminal on the Broadway pier which is a center piece for the Embarcadero. But the cruise ship industry is bringing millions of dollars to San Diego's economy, so Port Commissioners approved an upgraded architectural design estimated to cost $23 million. Commissioner Laurie Black

Don’t count on Pricess staying in San Diego because of their offer to help fund a terminal. Trust me. Building anything in San Diego is one of the most agonizing activities known to man (or woman). The city fathers have been studying the airport situation for more than 20 years and nothing has happened yet. It took almost 6 years to get the SD Padres ballpark built because of multiple lawsuits. The Chargers will probably leave the city because they can't get a stadium financed, even by outsiders, due to the chaos in city hall.

I am not saying this to start a political argument, so please don’t go there. I am only suggesting that with the city finances in poor shape, infrastructure collapsing and no real ability to borrow money, I don't think you can expect any changes in the terminal (as inadequate as it is) for many years. Princess will not leave LA or San Francisco but could depart San Diego if they deem it not to be in their own economic interest.

A quick check of the Princess website shows that the Sapphire Princess will begin doing 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises out of San Diego, beginning in Sept., 2008.

Checked the Princess Cruise Atlas (Summer 2008 to Spring 2009) and its website, sorry to report that the Sapphire will be doing R/T Mexican Riviera from LA starting in Sept. - replacing the Golden, which is shifted to R/T Hawaii from LA, replacing the Diamond.

Look like there won't be any sailing out of San Diego for a while.

Archived