What is a pullman Bed?

Lwilliams

We are sailingn on Enchantment of the Seas and have a Deck 3, Catagory M, inside statement room that sayes we have 2 pullman beds? What exactly are these? Is it a bed that folds down from the wall? If so, how do you get in and out of the bed? We are traveling with our 8 year old and she is afraid of heights - I'm just trying to picture what it will look like?

:confused:

It comes out of the ceiling. Then they give your child a ladder to climb up and down. When the attendant does your room in the AM he will fold it up and when he does it in the PM he will get it ready. My 6 yr old loved it.

I hate to get off subject but how do you post the picture right on the thread like this?

First you have to know the direct URL for the image (that is it should end in a graphic extension such as .jpg or .gif instead of a page extension such as .htm or .asp or .php or somesuch)

Then when you are in the message editor writing your post, click on the little picture (insertimage.gif) in the formatting menu. A pop-up will come and ask for the url of the graphic. Put the address there.

I slept on the pullman on Enchantment in November. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was -- not as comfortable as the regular bed, but pretty decent. If your child is afraid of heights, one of the adults may need to sleep there. Pushing the twin beds together, so that the pullman actually hangs over part of a bed beneath the pullman may help those fears as then it won't look so far down.

We on the Independence next year. I know it's not done yet, but does anyone have a photo from the Liberty or Freedom of the pullman? We are in connecting rooms with our kids. They are in a D1. Are they all above the beds?

On the Liberty and the Freedom, I believe all the D1 catagory cabins that allow for more than 2 people, have a pull out couch for the 3rd and 4th passenger. There are some E1 and E2's that have the pullman.

When looking at the deck plans, a triangle symbol will show a sofa bed, and an asterisk designates a pullman.

On the Liberty and the Freedom, I believe all the D1 catagory cabins that allow for more than 2 people, have a pull out couch for the 3rd and 4th passenger. There are some E1 and E2's that have the pullman.

When looking at the deck plans, a triangle symbol will show a sofa bed, and an asterisk designates a pullman.

OK, what is D1? Sorry, new to cruising! We will know then what to book for OBC when we are on the Sovereign in a few weeks.

OK, what is D1? Sorry, new to cruising! We will know then what to book for OBC when we are on the Sovereign in a few weeks.

the D1 is the category of balcony. Look at the website floor plans for the ship and see what you would like and can afford.

My cabin #8546 on the Radiance shows an * (pullman?) but indicates a sofa on the description. Anyone been in that cabin and confirm what is in the cabin? I also don't like the idea of my 16 year old son being right above our bed. Some vacation. :rolleyes:

The room is setup for the 3rd person in the pullman. There will be a sofa in the room but it is a loveseat and doesn't open. If you want a sofabed then you have to find a room with a triangle on it in the floor plans

You can take the bedding off and put it on the floor. This works great the kids loved it. You can also put it on the fold out bed if you have one.......RADICAL

I will def be putting the matress on the floor for my 11 year old DS between the 2 beds in my Cat M. I just can't risk him falling off onto me - I just had a bad car accident and I am not willing to risk it.

We on the Independence next year. I know it's not done yet, but does anyone have a photo from the Liberty or Freedom of the pullman? We are in connecting rooms with our kids. They are in a D1. Are they all above the beds?

OOPS! Don't what I was thinking...they are in an E1, not D1.:rolleyes:

In case anyone is interested, the name "Pullman" in reference to sleeping accommodations originated with the Pullman Company. In the late 19th century and early 20th century George Pullman invented the railroad sleeping car. This converted a normal car with seats into a sleeping car with beds that folded down from the ceiling. This created the upper berth. The seats on the floor would convert into the lower berth.

That name has stuck with similar beds that are now found in a few small hotels and on ships where space is at a premium.

David

Archived