Pride of Aloha 2/13-23

Purple Tessa

Hi all,

Just a few quick notes from my first cruise ever aboard the Pride of Aloha on 2/13-23. First, let me say that the information I got on these boards was extremely helpful. I rented cars from Thrifty in every port except Lahaina, and in Lahaina took the bus to Kaanapali as suggested on the boards, worked great. Sign up for Blue Chip if you use Thrifty it's free and saved oodles of time.

It was a great trip in terms of itinerary and weather - truly couldn't have been better! We got NO RAIN which is amazing for Hawaii. The islands were wonderful.

That said, Pride of Aloha did leave things to be desired. The crew was friendly but extremely disorganized. Service was just not great and I am NOT picky. I was with a large group of 70+ and most of them were experienced cruisers, all felt the ship and service were the worst they had experienced. Food at buffet was so-so with frequent lines, service in dining rooms was mediocre at best and bad at worst. Specialty restaurants were excellent and well worth the price. First day it was almost impossible to make dinner reservations, crew was just generally not accomodating. Crew couldn't answer many questions, conflicting information given depending upon whom you asked. Distribution of tender tickets confusing. Entertainment spotty at best. Towels frequently ran out on deck. Service desk phones often rang and rang without being answered. Room service pretty quick though. Had one massage in spa -- hour massage was actually 50 minutes, was not a great massage (not bad, not great) and with mandatory 18% service charge was over $160 (I can get two excellent full hour massages for that at home). Can't comment on shore excursions as we did our own thing everywhere. I think crew's attitude may have been affected by recent announcement of Aloha being pulled and reassigned to different area. Again, many crew were friendly but didn't seem to know what they were doing.

A few things I wanted to know before I went -- no coffee pots in rooms. We took thermal coffee cups to fill at buffet and were glad we did. Coffee on board was actually quite good. Took several requests to get in-room fridge unloaded for our use, and they wanted to leave the stuff in our room even when we asked that they take it away (they eventually did). Towel animals one time (I didn't care at all about this but have seen others mention it). No laundry facilities on board (except ship's laundry at charge per item). Soda cards were well worth price for us. We were able to get on first tender boat in both tender ports to get an early start. Easy to get on/off boat in port. They did check bags for alcohol (we don't drink but saw others' stashes getting confiscated). Adequate storage in cabin. Beds are relatively high off floor, can slide any luggage underneath. We had a balcony - I would have found an inside cabin claustraphobic after seeing one. Ship can be cool with AC on, take a sweater for restaruants.

Anyway, I appreciated using these boards, and notwithstanding above, we had a great time (but were glad to have only one sea day, given this ship). Also, this itinerary just can't be beat.

A few highlights that we did -- USS Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor - extremely moving. Go on your own, it's free and easy. Drove to North shore on Oahu and hit a day with HUGE waves and got to see the world class surfers at Waimea Bay. Rented a kayak south of Kona and kayaked Kealakekua Bay to Captain Cook's monument, best snorkling in Hawaii. Nearby place of refuge worth a visit. Sail by of NaPali coast (Kauai) unbelievably beautiful with whales breaching all over the place. Most of sail by visible from starboard side, ship turned to give port side a look too. Ziplining at Princeville Ranch Adventures on Kauai was awesome (not the outfit or location ship's excursion goes to). Beaches on Maui beautiful, we went to Makena, Kapalua and Kaanapali. Hanalei area of Kauai stunning. Volcano park on Big Island worth the visit, hiked the 4 mile Kilauea Iki trail, which was outstanding.

Eating at specialty restaurants 6 nights and with a soda card, a massage and a few incidentals my charges for 1 were about $370 (exclusive of $10 per day mandatory service charge, which added another $100). But, as I said, I don't drink -- alcoholic beverages were expensive, and one in our group had a bar bill of $1700 (ouch!).

Attire generally casual - jeans allowed in all venues including specialty restaurants (except not in Palace Dining Room). Some people dressed up on optional formal nights, most did not. A lot of sundresses, capris, jeans, other summer pants and tops, white jeans, on ladies in restaurants. Mixed age crowd, lots of retired folks, some families but not a ton (not surprising since not a school break), not too many youngers (thought maybe more honeymooners would be on board).

Let me know if questions.

Tess

Thanks so much for review of Pride of Aloha. We will be going on the March 26 sailing and I was concerned about the staff's attitude since the Aloha will be leaving in May. Sounds like your experience echoed most everyone else who has been on this ship. Could you tell me the costs for the speciality restaurants and if some days were 1/2 price? Also, how soon should we book these after boarding? How early did you tender in Kona? We have a Fair Winds excursion booked and need to be off the ship very early? Thanks for all your help:p

Purple Tessa we were on the same cruise you were on and I have to say we didn't experience the same issues you and your fellow travelers had. The crew was very helpful to us and I found them to be very upbeat, When I asked them what they were all going to be doing when the Pride of Aloha went to Asia most said they were working very hard so that Pride of America would maybe pick them up..Only 1 girl..in the one of the main restaurants said I really don't care what happens to this ship I am going home to my mom...We had 2 spa treatments both SUPER......Tender Tickets we walked to the Blue Hawaii and picked up our tickets and walked down to the 3 floor and got on the tender, we had no problem....We booked excursions from NCL loved them, all..Food at Bistro was fantastic. We ate in Longboards one night, wings and beers and burgers...they were great... Both main dining rooms service was good.. and food very good. Buffets, Food was always hot, and tasty..tons of fresh fruit.. Our room was an outside cabin with a huge pothole....I think it was comparable to my other cabins on other lines. I will post my review when I finish with it, It is very long.. I guess it just goes to show how people experience the same things and how everyone looks at things a little differently.

Purple Tessa we were on the same cruise you were on and I have to say we didn't experience the same issues you and your fellow travelers had.

I have to say I'm with you on this one. I ate three meals in three different restaurants. The rest were eaten up on deck. After returning to the ship I went up on deck to have a drink and relax and eat something when I felt like it. I didn't think the desserts were great but the server that was there was so enthusiastic she was delightful. She was from Maryland. We had a great bar waiter, Shaun. At the end of the cruise I gave him a tip of 25 of the new presidential dollars. He loved them. I know that on the international ships it's best to tip in "regular" money. He had never seen these and was very excited to get them. I don't really care if he was faking it because it was good old US tender that he could spend. We saw him at lunch one day in Lahaina and I teased him about drinking while there. He actually seemed happy to see us. If I were off work I wouldn't care to see the people I was serving. Again, if he was faking it, I don't care. It was good acting.

I don't think I can give a fair assessment of the Asian Infusion restaurant. I don't know the name. That service was out of this world, but it was also with the Captain. We had one meal in the Italian restaurant. Our waiter there, Dennis Turner, I think, was the best waiter I have ever had on any cruise. When it came time for dessert he came out with the plate of selections and put the entire thing down so we could share. I thought we were just going to pick what we wanted. The waiter in the main dining room was great to other passengers with whom he had obviously developed a relationship earlier in the cruise. He didn't seem much interested in us.

When I talked to many of the crew about their contracts, many had already extended. I think of those most were from cold weather and extended their contracts to avoid the winter. Our room steward who was from the international crew headed to the Dawn the same day we got off. He will still be there when we go in April.

as I said. Also, keep in mind I am a first-time cruiser. And, as I said, I found crew friendly just often -- befuddled. Really though I have to say that those I was with and other passengers I talked with had issues with service and organization.

That said, I agree specialty restaurants were excellent. Cost was $10/person for Pacific Heights (Asian) and Kahili (Italian) both of which I preferred to the $15 Royal Palm Bistro (French). To make reservations -- for first night, make reservation right when you board at temporary table set up in reception area. After they took that down, there was a couple of hours where it was very confused, many passengers (me included) sent back and forth several times before 5th and 7th decks, no one available to make reservations and no one answering reservation line. All other days, easy to call reservation line at 31214 to make reservations. You can make for day of starting at 7 a.m. and for following day. Prime time (7 p.m.) does fill up, but we were always able to get in (for 2) sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

We were also able to get off on first tender boat at both tender ports. Go down to Blue Hawaii 15 minutes before they say they're going to start handing out tickets if you want to get on first boat.

Glad you enjoyed your spa services, I enjoyed my massage but wouldn't again spend $165 for a 50 minute massage that was good but not great (but that's just me, I'm somewhat price-conscious).

Even with service issues, I had a great time and am sure you will too! The Islands are fantastic.

Archived