Venice - Royal Caribbean

I have been reading up on transport around Venice, and just want to make 100% sure that I understand before I book my cruise and mess everything up!...

The plan is to arrive at Marco Polo a few days before the cruise and stay in central Venice - am I right in thinking that the water bus and the lan bus goes directly from airport to centre of Venice and is very cheap? Is it easy to get to the water/land stop from the airport?

The day of the cruise (16th Aug Splendour) is there a bus/shuttle/anything from somewhere central to the port? Does it take you right to the ship? What kind if prices are we talking about?

The day the cruise ends (saturday) our flight isn't until late at night, is the best thing to get from the port to the centre and leave baggage somewhere central, potter around for 10 hours and then go from the centre to the airport?

I'm so confused, but i just want to book!!!

Thank you all so much!

There are a couple of threads below that talk about getting from Venice Airport to Piazzale Roma to the cruise pier, you might want to check them out.

There is a bus for 3 EUR that has room for luggage from Marco Polo Airport to Piazzale Roma. Then the cruiselines usually have a free shuttle from Piazzale Roma about a 5 minute ride to the pier.

if you are planning to stay in Venice- I suggest that you book one of the following hotels. The bus to Piazzle Roma is right outside of baggage at Venice airport. It is indeed 3 Euros per person and the bus driver will help you with your luggage (no need to tip- they don't take them).

Once you reach Piazzle Roma the hotels that I would recommend are the Santa Chiara and the Ca' doge. They are both right in Piazzle Roma- no stairs or bridges to have to haul luggage. Let the hotel know that on the last day of the cruise you just need to story your luggage. If you are a guest I am sure that they would be willing to do this on the last day of the cruise as a courtesy.

For convenience- don't stay in Central Venice, Rialto or St. Mark's Square. Luggage is a pain in Venice and from Piazzle Roma- you can walk to the pier on the day of embarkation. Save your money. Check into the hotel and then take the vaporetto or walk to St. Mark's. It will take about 45 minutes but there are signs to direct you. This way you will see most of Venice. Then if you are tired- take the vaporetto back to your hotel. Its so much easier to explore Venice without luggage.

You could throw a rock at the Santa Chiara from where the bus drops you off in Piazzle Roma.

As for the distance from the port to Piazzle Roma- it is approximately 1 mile (give or take). It isn't a flat walk though and if a person has more than one roller bag- might be too much. But there are taxis to and from the pier to Piazzle Roma (10-20 Euros depending on the whim of the driver!) Get a price upfront before boarding a taxi- anywhere in Europe and don't give them a dime more than they stated up front. They'll get mad but don't let them take advantage of you.

Can you tell I was once ripped off and then stood my ground the next time? Fool me once!

I'd take the ATVO airport bus to/from the airport. It stops in Piazzale Roma from where there is a free shuttle bus to/from the port. On the final day I'd take the port shuttle bus to Piazzale Roma then leave the bags at the left luggage office for the day . Hotel Santa Chiara is within walking distance with the added bonus of no steps or bridges. (We are going to leave the big bags in the left luggage office and take only overnight bags to the hotel Agli Artisti)

You may find this map helpful. It show the free port shuttle bus stop (bottom right hand corner "touristic bus") It also shows the left luggage office, the water taxi stop and the vaporetto stop

http://www.venicebanana.com/eng/maprom.htm

After reading your post of yesterday, I assume that you are a bride to be married in August and require everything to be "perfect." Am I correct? Various thoughts: perfection is hard to come by and if you have to focus on anything beyond who you have picked to marry, focus on food and flowers (That will be hard enough!)

Should I assume that the date of the cruise is based on the date of the wedding? Have you looked at your agreed-upon itinerary and temperature and crowds? Adults without children (you?) have a limited window to select optimal schedules that are lost when the responsibilities of children or older parents appear. Consider letting the groom plan an immediate getaway that works to your preferred activities and consider a cruise later in the fall. You can get rid of families with children and all of Europe that vacations in August. Perhaps you will also get a better rate. Look at posts re cruising in late September/early October.

Have you picked a cruise that starts in one city and ends in another? Such itineraries are often favored because of fewer "at sea" days and more ports visited. Venice often shares the end point with Rome or Barcelona. Either are easier to adjust to leaving Venice for the end (arriving early handles jet lag and issues of possible flight delays, but you might spend less time on tours or even out of your cabin at first versus a much older couple like we are). Your question and the information you've received so far suggests that you have not read up on Venice nor have a foldup map of the city (go to bookstore NOW and get the map). What is "central Venice"? Looking at the map puts the center in San Marco somewhere at the grand canal.

Do you intend to spend at least 3 nights in Venice? Consider an apartment (check "VRBO"). Look at web sites to gain information re transportation in Venice (http://www.actv.it; http://www.vtp.it; http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...tto_routes.htm).

Yes, enjoy the experience but don't have a lot of fixed expectations that may guarantee that you will have memories of being dissapointed. Enjoy your planning.

David

we did same cruise last year. There is a very well sign posted and cheap public bus service from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma. I think it cost 4 euro each. Also a free shuttle bus from this Piazza to the cruise ship on departure day.

Lots of reasonable hotels just away from this area which reduces luggage transportation problems. We liked Hotel Olimpia.

Public transport in Venice excellent and very easy to use.

Archived