I was in Casa De Campo on 2-19-08

cruisingbooboo

We contacted Iberostar resort prior to our arrival and arranged a day pass $45.00 included open bar, food, non motorized sports. About 18 of us from the ship went, we got 2 taxi vans and it cost us $14.00 R/T PP including tip. It was about a 20 min. ride to the resort. The resort was BEAUTIFUL!!!!! great beach, pools, good food/ drinks. I did not do any sports.

We wandered over to the public beach, got hounded a bit buy the vendors but they respected our firm " no thank you". We spoke with some fellow cruisers who were on the public side of the beach and they were quite pleased, the beach area was nice. They did not have chairs, I think they had an umbrella. It didnt seem bad to me... they had arranged with a vendor for cold Presidente beers to be delivered to them for $2.00 per bottle ( they were happy )

I would not hesitate going to the public beach Bayhibe Beach, if you have any questions let me know. I know there isn't much going on at this port. Our dinner mates said they went to Altos De Chavron and commented that it was quite uneventful.

Did you just catch a taxi at the port or did you pre-arrange your vans? We are thinking of just going to Altos (spelling?) and wandering around. We will have lots of beach time at other ports. We are trying to figure out what to do at this port and there is not a lot of information available. Thank so much!

Thank you cruisingbooboo,

We are going to try the public beach first. I would prefer not to spend $180.00 for my family of 4 just to go to the beach. My husband and I will each have an el Presidente and the kids a soft drink. Should cost more than $10.00 total including tip.

If the public beach is really bad, we will "suck it up" and head over to one of the hotels.

I'll certainly post upon return of our experience.

Did you just catch a taxi at the port or did you pre-arrange your vans? We are thinking of just going to Altos (spelling?) and wandering around. We will have lots of beach time at other ports. We are trying to figure out what to do at this port and there is not a lot of information available. Thank so much!

Right off the ship is an area where you can pick up a shuttle or a taxi. The shuttle will bring you to either the Marina area or to Altos (sp?). We went to the Marina (I believe it was $4.00 per person). It brings you to an area with shops, homes, and a marina. We walked around for maybe 45 minutes looking at the yachts, bought a key chain and a pin, wandered through their grocery store, and then went back to the ship. Not very exciting -- should have stayed on the ship.

Be careful if you chose to take a taxi. An older couple at our dinner table went with another couple in a taxi. They told the driver where they wanted to go. The driver, instead, took them to some pottery shop in a remote area. When they asked him to point out on their map where they were, he refused to. They demanded that he take them back to the ship, he did, and they got out and refused to pay him. When recounting this story, we heard that this had happened to another couple as well. So just be careful...

Patty

Monroe, CT

Cruisingbooboo, your idea sounds very good for my husband and myself. How do I contact them. This included all alcoholic drinks and food (are they an all-inclusive hotel) My husband isn't the best beach person but if their pool is nice and we could get off the boat for the day it may make a nice break. My husband loves cruising and would be perfectly happy never getting off the ship. Thanks for any information.

Be careful if you chose to take a taxi. An older couple at our dinner table went with another couple in a taxi. They told the driver where they wanted to go. The driver, instead, took them to some pottery shop in a remote area. When they asked him to point out on their map where they were, he refused to. They demanded that he take them back to the ship, he did, and they got out and refused to pay him. When recounting this story, we heard that this had happened to another couple as well. So just be careful...

Patty

Monroe, CT

I appreciate the information. I don't always like taking taxis when we are in port. Did anyone have problems with the shuttles? We were really thinking of doing one of these. Guess I would feel a little safer in a larger group.

Karen

We walked to the taxi area, told the person who appeared to be in charge where we were going, arranged a price and got in 2 large vans ( holds about 10 ) we had no problems w/ our drivers and I didnt hear anyone on the ship who had trouble either... not that that means much but... I did feel very safe traveling in such a large group.

I contacted Iberostar vial email, go to www.Iberostarresorts.com the specific one we were at was Hacienda Domiscus

Yes it included all alcoholic drinks, food,nonmotorized sports... the pool was VERY nice. I am a beach person but the pool was so nice we spent some time there as well.

If I can be of anymore help please let me know..

( wish I was back on that BEAUTIFUL beach right now!!!!)

Did you need a visitor visa card or was your entry from the ship with a passport enough?

I read on another thread that pointed me to some information about Dominican Republic that stated a Visitor Card was needed (purchase for $10 US). This may not be true. I am just looking for an answer.

We walked to the taxi area, told the person who appeared to be in charge where we were going, arranged a price and got in 2 large vans ( holds about 10 ) we had no problems w/ our drivers and I didnt hear anyone on the ship who had trouble either... not that that means much but... I did feel very safe traveling in such a large group.

I contacted Iberostar vial email, go to www.Iberostarresorts.com the specific one we were at was Hacienda Domiscus

Yes it included all alcoholic drinks, food,nonmotorized sports... the pool was VERY nice. I am a beach person but the pool was so nice we spent some time there as well.

If I can be of anymore help please let me know..

( wish I was back on that BEAUTIFUL beach right now!!!!)

Hi everyone,

We are sailing on the Explorer of the Seas on April 11th, We will be going to the Iberostar on April 15th. Has anyone else signed up for the day pass for that day? If so, we should meet at a specified place, so we can van/taxi pool together.

We went to Altos de Chavon and the Kandela Show. Originally, we were going to purchase all on our own; but ended up buying through cruise because transportation (taxis) was limited at pier and very expensive. The show was excellent, but all in Spanish. Some other cruisers who didn;t understand the language didn't enjoy it as much. Altos is lovely for walking around and eating at a restaurant. Not much more.

Did you need a visitor visa card or was your entry from the ship with a passport enough?

I read on another thread that pointed me to some information about Dominican Republic that stated a Visitor Card was needed (purchase for $10 US). This may not be true. I am just looking for an answer.

Are you asking specific to Iberostar or the DR in general? we had emailed Iberostar our passport info and brought our licences with us. I've never heard of a visitor card...

Hi everyone,

We are sailing on the Explorer of the Seas on April 11th, We will be going to the Iberostar on April 15th. Has anyone else signed up for the day pass for that day? If so, we should meet at a specified place, so we can van/taxi pool together.

The security at the Iberostar are very strict. We had to show our emails w/ the resort to the gaurd before he's let us in so bring a copy with you.

Wish I was going with you!!!! have fun !!!

Hi everyone,

Mohegan, did you already reserve with them? If so, what is their cancellation policy if you don't make it into port? Any other details that you might have? This sounds interesting but I am a bit apprehensive. There are five of us in our group. It would be great to "van/taxi pool" together if we decide to go. I wish the resort provided transportation even if it were a bit more expensive, I would feel much more comfortable. Thanks for any information, looking forward to cruising with you!

cruisingbooboo,

We are considering Iberostar it sounds like it might work for our group of 7. There are 4 adults, a 16yo, a 14yo and a 7yo do the kids pay the same as the adults?

Thanks

I THINK kids are about 1/2 price but I am not 100% sure, email and ask...

Mohegan, did you already reserve with them? If so, what is their cancellation policy if you don't make it into port? Any other details that you might have? This sounds interesting but I am a bit apprehensive. There are five of us in our group. It would be great to "van/taxi pool" together if we decide to go. I wish the resort provided transportation even if it were a bit more expensive, I would feel much more comfortable. Thanks for any information, looking forward to cruising with you!

We didn't pay until we got there so don't worry if you miss the port or it is raining.... we had a safe/ pleasent taxi experience.( we paid him when he dropped us off at the ship)

Yes, we did sign up for the day pass at the Iberostar. It is $45.00 per person. As cruisingbooboo mentioned, you don't pay the $45.00 until you get to the resort. We were told in the email from Britta(contact person) just to come to the front desk and make the payment. They don't ask for a credit card when you sign up for the day pass, so they couldn't charge you if you didn't make it to the resort. Hope you join us.

cruisingbooboo, Thank you again for all of the wonderful information. Although I am apprehensive about the taxi situation, we have decided to visit the resort. Although you didn't participate in the sports, can you please tell me what activities are available besides swimming? Would it be worth our while to bring our snorkel gear with us? Were there lockers available and if not, what did you do with your "stuff" while you were in the water? I read something in the contract (in the part that was ONLY in Spanish:confused:) about a towel deposit. Did you have to leave a towel deposit? Sorry about all the questions again, any information is really appreciated. Is the taxi $14pp regardless of how many people are in it? You've taken a port day that I really wasn't looking forward to very much and turned it into something special!

I did receive confirmation from Britta that children up to 12 years of age are 1/2 price. My two teens are "adults." Still better than children who are "adults" at Disney when they are 8 I believe!

mohegan, If you would still like to share a cab, we can arrange a meeting time and place. I hope you're signed up for the meet and mingle and we'll have a chance to meet there too!

Sorry, one more question.:o The e-mail that I received from Britta stated that we needed to bring our passports with us. We did fill this info out on our registration form. Cruisingbooboo, I read that you brought your driver's license, did you have your passport too? We have a water wallet for our DL, seapass, cc, $$$, but I don't know what we would do with the passports while we were in the water if there aren't any lockers. Of course, maybe we should have them with us no matter what anyway.?.:confused: Perhaps there is a safe at check in? Any thoughts or advice?

cruisingbooboo, Thank you again for all of the wonderful information. Although I am apprehensive about the taxi situation, we have decided to visit the resort. Although you didn't participate in the sports, can you please tell me what activities are available besides swimming? Would it be worth our while to bring our snorkel gear with us? Were there lockers available and if not, what did you do with your "stuff" while you were in the water? I read something in the contract (in the part that was ONLY in Spanish:confused:) about a towel deposit. Did you have to leave a towel deposit? Sorry about all the questions again, any information is really appreciated. Is the taxi $14pp regardless of how many people are in it? You've taken a port day that I really wasn't looking forward to very much and turned it into something special!

I did receive confirmation from Britta that children up to 12 years of age are 1/2 price. My two teens are "adults." Still better than children who are "adults" at Disney when they are 8 I believe!

mohegan, If you would still like to share a cab, we can arrange a meeting time and place. I hope you're signed up for the meet and mingle and we'll have a chance to meet there too!

Hi, Someone I spoke to did kayaking, some teens played water basketball in a seperate pool next to the main pool. I din't see anyone using snorkel gear, but that doesn't mean much....if it's not to much to lug it is worth a try, you never know what you'll see.

We brought our towels from the ship ( I wasn't sure about towel services so we didn't sign any out, although there was a cabana that had the towels)

I don't know if there were lockers ( I dint see any but thats not to say there were some...) I went with a large group so we took turns watching the " stuff" although I saw LOTS of unattended bags.

The taxi price... we asked how mauch to Iberostar, we were quoted a price, we divided it by 10 ( 10 were in our van) and added a tip, it came to $14 pp if you have more/less in the van that would alter the price.

Being w/ a large group I felt 100% safe in the cab!!!!!

I emailed Britta my passport info, brought my lic cause I didn't want to bring my passport, in looking back I could've brought a copy of my passport to fit in my water wallet, but they were fine w/ my lic.

Bring your email confirmation from Britta in case you need to show the security gaurd at the gate( we did)

Glad to be of service, hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I thought it was VERY hard to find something to do in this port so I am glad to help:o ....pay it forward, share your good experiences with others!!!

Thanks again cruisingbooboo for taking the time to answer ALL:o of my questions! You're right that it is very hard to get information for this port. It makes me wonder if anyone gets off the ship here.:confused: It doesn't seem that anyone else (with the exception of mohegan who I look forward to hearing from:) ) is interested in visiting this resort so unfortunately we won't have the security and fun of travelling with a large group like you did. It still seems like it will be a great day!

If there's anyone else lurking out there going on the April 11th Explorer who would like to join us, please drop in !:)

Yes, we are signed up for the meet and mingle, so we can discuss sharing a cab at that time. See you there.

cruisingbooboo, I have posted a few times about the resort on our roll call to try and entice others to join us, but so far, no luck! So that means along with mohegan and her DH, there are seven of us going so far. Since that's more than your mentioned 6, hopefully that means we'll have a safe trip there and back!:D It will be great if even more people join us, we'll have to wait and see!

The advantage of so many people from our roll call doing different things is that there should be a nice variety of information brought back here for future Dominican Republic cruisers!:)

I'm sure you'll be fine :) You'll be the envy of all those that stay on board when you get back and discuss your trip.

I hope others do post on what they did. The day we were there my DH was sick, I'd love to take him back there since he stayed on board, but it would be nice to see what else is available.

The day we were going we agreed to meet at the Promenade cafe so I apprached a family there asking if they were going to Iberostar ( it was like being on a blind date :) ) he said no, they had no plans... long story short they ended up coming along and had a great day, so you never know how many people you'll end up with.

Archived