Best place to view New York as you sail off...

dadsbdaycruiser

Hey there! Good Cruizing to you! Just off the ship.

When we pulled out, we were almost an hour early b/c all came aboard timely according to the Commadore. The weather was COLD and WINDY. Couldn't stand outside on any of the decks. We chose to skip dinner that first night to catch glimpses of Lady Liberty and the bridge.

Be advised also that all forward facing windows are closed up before pulling out. There are no opportunities for forward viewing from shelter inside. Best we could do was the windows from the pool enclosure area, stepping out now and then to gague where we were in relation to what we just 'had' to see.

We had much better views on the return trip catching the rising sun behind Lady Liberty. It was fantastic.

Be advised also that all forward facing windows are closed up before pulling out. There are no opportunities for forward viewing from shelter inside. Best we could do was the windows from the pool enclosure area, stepping out now and then to gague where we were in relation to what we just 'had' to see.

Why do they close the windows (if this is the correct wording) this is the first reference to it, where is the best location to view the statue of liberty without having to pop into the cold (we go 1 week today)

Brian

Actually by closing, i meant they pull the dark curtains. I was told for navigational purposes. It happens every night...bringing down the curtains.

We ended up for a bit in the cigar lounge as the windows there were more to the starboard side, but the attendent forced us out after a short while. :o

Agree with you completely, port side to the pier, but at least for the most recent return, the ship was on the north side of the pier, bow facing west, stern facing east making lower Manhattan off the starboard bow. Your returns/departures may have been different, just explaining how I experienced it 10 days ago.

Anyway is turns out, you can always move about the decks and see whatever sights you want!;)

What??

It was exactly has it has been every other time. I think you are just being a bit too exact with your compass points, my dear.

Thank you so much for all of this helpful information. As we get closer I will check the weather, and figure out which of the areas you all suggested look good. I think the suggestion of talking to the butler is a good idea- this does seem like something they should be able to help me with, and I plan to be on the ship early (right at 12:00- which I believe we are allowed to do).

We have not booked a larger duplex yet, but keep debating. I am still concerned about the stairs for dad, but I think it would be really nice having the deck space for events such as these. There seems to be availability so I haven't had to act yet- and the Q5/Q6 cabins look really comfortable.

There are also Q2s at the fore of the ship, and they don't have stairs. We found them to actually be nicer than the duplexes at the stern, and the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary suites have the glass elevators/lifts available as another access to the suite. They also connect to the two in the middle (Q3) if you had a desire to do so. Check the deck plans for details.

The Q5/Q6 cabins are indeed comfortable and have just enough room without being so big you start making too much mess. :) We actually had a Q5 (midships) last month and the lifeboats were underneath, which meant the Q6s, if you choose carefully, are a better choice, IMO. But since we booked very late we really didn't have a choice and were happy to be onboard and also happy there are lifeboats, just in case.

NB--Last month we also came back to NY in a storm and did not find our visit in the Q2 near the bow to be suffering at all from too much movement.

Deck plans for details:

http://www.deluxecruises.com/cunard/queen_mary_2/deck_10.htm

Archived