Where to stow luggage upon return to Long Beach...lotsa time to burn...

Cruisecontroler

Hi...sorry if this question has been answered, but the search function is down right now:o ...so...

We're getting back to port early, on April 7th after cruising the Mexican Riviera, but don't fly out of LA until the "red-eye"...so, we're wondering how to deal with the luggage.

I'm starting to lean towards renting a car (one way), from Long Beach to LA, stowing the luggage in the trunk, and doing some sightseeing.

Any input from any of you experienced travelers?

Thanks,

We are on the same cruise and have the same problem. Our flight doesn't leave until 4pm. I read somewhere that you could store your luggage at the Queen Mary, but I haven't confirmed this. Carnival did have a tour of Los Angeles listed that runs right after you get off the cruise, but they took it off of their website. I may contact Carnivals tour department and see if they are going to offer it. Apparently, you can't book it until you are on the cruise ship. We did this at the end of our cruise in San Diego. They put your luggage on the bus, take you for a tour and drop you at the airport for your flight. It worked out really well for us. If they don't have a tour, we may end up renting a car or taxi so that we can do a little sightseeing before we have to leave.

We are on the same cruise and have the same problem. Our flight doesn't leave until 4pm. I read somewhere that you could store your luggage at the Queen Mary, but I haven't confirmed this. Carnival did have a tour of Los Angeles listed that runs right after you get off the cruise, but they took it off of their website. I may contact Carnivals tour department and see if they are going to offer it. Apparently, you can't book it until you are on the cruise ship. We did this at the end of our cruise in San Diego. They put your luggage on the bus, take you for a tour and drop you at the airport for your flight. It worked out really well for us. If they don't have a tour, we may end up renting a car or taxi so that we can do a little sightseeing before we have to leave.

Hi, DanaL.

Thanks for the tip...I feel I have a "Carnival Call" in my future too.

We're going to be doing some sightseeing in Long Beach on Saturday, and staying @ The Queen Mary the night before the cruise, but when we get back, I think our sightseeing will me more in the direction of LA, and we don't want to have to back track for the luggage.

We've never flown out of LA, but were wondering how much of a hassle it is getting in and out of the airport. If it's not too bad, we were wondering about checking our bags in, then sightseeing...at least our luggage will get home;)

You're going to have a nice leisurely wait before your flight too. It's nice not to be rushed.

Barb,

The thing about LAX is that you can't park your car at the curb and go check your baggage. You would have to park in pay parking in the structure across from the departures, check your baggage, then pay to get your car out of hock. Also, departures and arrivals are on different levels, so pay attention when you're driving into the airport. Good luck.

Barb,

Due to TSA regulations you can't check in your luggage more than a couple of hours before your flight, so if you have a red eye, checking in your bags at LAX immediately after the cruise won't work. Check with the airport for the exact amount of time.

Enjoy

Ron

Barb,

Due to TSA regulations you can't check in your luggage more than a couple of hours before your flight, so if you have a red eye, checking in your bags at LAX immediately after the cruise won't work. Check with the airport for the exact amount of time.

Enjoy

Ron

Yikes!:p Thanks for the info crusingJs and Ron...Maybe the rental car with a trunk is the way to go.:)

Hey, DanaL...have you checked out the roll call board for our 03/30 cruise yet?

I've seen that carnival tour also, and now it's gone. We don't fly out of LAX until 5:30 pm so we have some time.

I did just find this tour company that does cruise layovers/departures. They will pick up at pier & take you on a tour then to LAX. I haven't called to get more details, but it might be worth looking into. It's $70 pp.

Here is the link:

lacitytours.com/tour-A4-2B.asp

Hopefully that link works!!

I've seen that carnival tour also, and now it's gone. We don't fly out of LAX until 5:30 pm so we have some time.

I did just find this tour company that does cruise layovers/departures. They will pick up at pier & take you on a tour then to LAX. I haven't called to get more details, but it might be worth looking into. It's $70 pp.

Here is the link:

lacitytours.com/tour-A4-2B.asp

Hopefully that link works!!

Thanks, nu2cruz...I did find it...sounds great!:D

Txwildflower,

Carnival didn't have a price listed for the post cruise tour. It said that you had to book this tour on the ship. When we took the post cruise tour in San Diego 2 years ago, I believe the price was about $37 per person. I also think that the tour for the Pride said that your flight departure needed to be 3pm or later. I am still hoping that they will have the tour. If not, I guess we will kill some time in Long Beach if we can find somewhere to leave the luggage.

Dana

Txwildflower,

Carnival didn't have a price listed for the post cruise tour. It said that you had to book this tour on the ship. When we took the post cruise tour in San Diego 2 years ago, I believe the price was about $37 per person. I also think that the tour for the Pride said that your flight departure needed to be 3pm or later. I am still hoping that they will have the tour. If not, I guess we will kill some time in Long Beach if we can find somewhere to leave the luggage.

Dana

Our flight leaves at 2:30. The recommended shuttle will be picking us up from the port at 11:45 to make our flight. I guess, we will just take an earlier shuttle and hang out at the airport. That sounds boring, but we did not want to take the 11:20 (our only other choice) for the fear of not making it.

I dont know if this is of any help but we had a bunch of time to burn day before yesterday.

We slept in till 8am, strolled up and had breakfast. Let pretty much everyone on the ship leave before they said we needed to leave. After customs and all that it was almost 11am when we got off. Just wait till they politely toss your ass off the ship.

We walked over to the Queen Mary shuttle. Took the shuttle to the Aquarium. They let you check your baggage at the information desk free of charge.

We spent a couple hours walking around the Aquarium. We got our hands stamped and went outdoors. Spent a hour or so walking around. Walked to place for lunch, spent a hour or so there. Walked next door to the Yard House and had a few beers, spent a few hours there. Walked back to the Aquarium. Got our bags and walked to the Hyatt. Got a cab and made our way to the airport.

Was pretty much a day of it and wasnt too much money either.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this....but last year we found ourselves in the same situation. Off the boat by 9:00 a.m. and had the whole day with our luggage. So what we did was confirm with the hotel we stayed at pre-cruise that upon our return that they would store our luggage for us and it worked out perfectly. The hotel was close to the pier so we just left our luggage there and took a few tours from that hotel and then grabbed a cab to the airport. Worked out great for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Rental cars are the best option if you have a long day...

You can take some of these drives around if you are interested in Film and TV history and sights between the ports and on the way to LAX...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500138

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=511653

Obviously click on the links to get the pics and info...

If you have an early (before 3 PM) flight, I'd personally say hang out on the ship as long as possible, then get to the airport...

You'd have to hang around a bit, but it's better than missing your flights...

I dont know if this is of any help but we had a bunch of time to burn day before yesterday.

We slept in till 8am, strolled up and had breakfast. Let pretty much everyone on the ship leave before they said we needed to leave. After customs and all that it was almost 11am when we got off. Just wait till they politely toss your ass off the ship.

We walked over to the Queen Mary shuttle. Took the shuttle to the Aquarium. They let you check your baggage at the information desk free of charge.

We spent a couple hours walking around the Aquarium. We got our hands stamped and went outdoors. Spent a hour or so walking around. Walked to place for lunch, spent a hour or so there. Walked next door to the Yard House and had a few beers, spent a few hours there. Walked back to the Aquarium. Got our bags and walked to the Hyatt. Got a cab and made our way to the airport.

Was pretty much a day of it and wasnt too much money either.

What time did your flight leave? We depart LAX at @ 2:30. The shuttle to the airport says an 11:45 pick up. Does that seem too early? I don't want to wait in the airport for hours. I don't know how long it takes to get to the airport. If this is true, is there a restaurant or bar where we could hang out and still see when the shuttle comes? Myabe the Queen Mary? Thanks!

What time did your flight leave? We depart LAX at @ 2:30. The shuttle to the airport says an 11:45 pick up. Does that seem too early? I don't want to wait in the airport for hours. I don't know how long it takes to get to the airport. If this is true, is there a restaurant or bar where we could hang out and still see when the shuttle comes? Myabe the Queen Mary? Thanks!

Hey there...

Bear this in mind...

If your flight leaves at 2:30 PM.

You need to be at the airport a minimum of an hour earlier, which is 1:30 PM.

You should give at least an hour to get from Long Beach to LAX (if you're a local and know shortcuts it's different, but you're not and relying on a shuttle) so that's 12:30 PM.

If the shuttle is picking up at 11:45, then they are just giving a 45 minute extra window for any traffic, accidents, etc.

Hope that helps...

Hey there...

Bear this in mind...

If your flight leaves at 2:30 PM.

You need to be at the airport a minimum of an hour earlier, which is 1:30 PM.

You should give at least an hour to get from Long Beach to LAX (if you're a local and know shortcuts it's different, but you're not and relying on a shuttle) so that's 12:30 PM.

If the shuttle is picking up at 11:45, then they are just giving a 45 minute extra window for any traffic, accidents, etc.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for putting it in prespective for me.

Archived