beaches in dominica

vamcd

we are going to dominica on the 11/30/08 explorer. our foursome really likes going to a beach and relaxing for the day. is the cab service reliable enough to get you to a beach and arrange a pick up time? also, what beaches would you recommend with food and bathroom facilities, and how far from port are they? thank you very much for any info in advance.

If you read the forum for past posts on this subject, you will learn that Dominica is about the only Caribbean island that doesn't have beaches. Do a search and you will learn why not and what the alternatives are.

DH and I will be on the same cruise as you. We went on this cruise last year as well and we did go to a black sand beach which was very nice. Had food and bathroom facilities. I did not write the name down so therefore do not remember. We booked it through RCI and I plan on calling them when it gets a little closer to find out the name. We would book the same tour again except we do not want to do the Rum factory tour. (once was enough). I have a map of Dominica which I brought home and there are numerous beaches listed. The beaches might not be the pristine white sand but there are beaches just a different type.

I know you are wanting a beach but you are really missing out if you don't do a tour of Dominica. It was one of the most beautiful places we have ever been. One thing for sure, definetly have something planned because there is nothing there to do when you walk off the boat. We did an island tour with Beno and it was a beautiful place. Happy Cruising!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I know you are wanting a beach but you are really missing out if you don't do a tour of Dominica. It was one of the most beautiful places we have ever been. One thing for sure, definetly have something planned because there is nothing there to do when you walk off the boat. We did an island tour with Beno and it was a beautiful place. Happy Cruising!!!:)

I absolutely agree, its so lush and green, save another island for a beach day.

We were in Dominica recently on the Grand Princess Trans-Atlantic crossing, and used Levi with Bumpiing Tours (2 i) - he had a nice clean and A/C van and a pre-planned roll call group of 8 went with him to see the sights of Dominica and end with snorkeling at the Champagne Reef. We paid $51pp and our tour included several of the sights on the various ships tours plus we designed how we wanted to spend our time - private tours are definitely the best bargain in safe ports.

Whether you do a tour or not, consider the Champagne Reef in addition to or instead of a beach. It was not too far from the port in Rouseau. It is an extinct volcano and filled with coral and fish plus bubbles escape from the gas from the volcano. The bubbles were fun and warm. We could have spent many hours there! The "beach" is rocky and there is a boardwalk across them with a black rubber mat leading into the water at the end. There are restrooms and they had gear to rent if you do not want to bring your own.

• 4 months later...

Archived