New to Oceania..please help!!

Mexfolkart

We are taking our first Oceania Cruise on April 26 on the Insignia from Barcelona to Istanbul..we have a few questions..

When we dock in a port how do they disembark? We have friends picking us up in a couple of places and wonder if we can disembark soon after docking or have to wiat a long time til all shore excursions etc have left?

What do we do about signing up for the dinners in the special restaurants?

Can you eat at eaither of the other two dining rooms..the Grand dining room or Tapas on any night at any time or do you make reservations for those, too?

Thank you very much..also anything you think we should know please include!

Kimber and Sherry

Can't help with the individual ports and disembarking. But generally...If you aren't tendering, then you can get off anytime the Captain says the ship has been cleared by officials. If tendering, you get a number and are called to the tender in an orderly manner. If the ship has early excursions, those people obviously get off first. At a certain point, you won't need a number ticket, after the first groups get off.

You will need to make res only for Polo and Toscana, the specialties. If you don't care about table size and are willing to share with a group, it is easier to get desired times. If you want a table for 2, sometimes it's more difficult to get them before 8:00. You can make the res right outside the buffet restaurant. There is always a staff member at a podium setting up the res. There will be a long line on the day you board as some people have very specific times and days they want. If you wait till the next day or after, your choices will be more limited. Certain room categories have the opportunity to eat in those restaurants 2 times each. Other lower categories are offered only 1 res for each. You can always check any morning and see if anything opened, and they may give you an "extra" spot.

Tapas and the grand dining room are just walk in. Busiest time is around 7:30. Again even at that time if you are willing to sit with others, you'll probably get right in. A table for 2 may require a 15-20 min wait. But there is a wonderful waiting area with bar. If you go to dinner at 6:30, there is never a wait.

Have a great time! You'll LOVE Oceania!:D

Thank you so much for your input..where is the buffet restaurant to make the reservations? Is that Tapas?

What time do you generally board..in time for lunch? We are very excited about going on Oceania! This is our Honeymoon!! (but we are older!)

Thank you, Kimber & Sherry

Thank you so much for your input..where is the buffet restaurant to make the reservations? Is that Tapas?

What time do you generally board..in time for lunch? We are very excited about going on Oceania! This is our Honeymoon!! (but we are older!)

Thank you, Kimber & Sherry

Yes, the buffet restaurant, called Horizons, is what they "change" into Tapas at night. They set the tables with white linens and chair covers. Fabulous if it's nice weather to sit at the tables outside. (Day or night.) 10th floor, I believe. (pool level)

As far as boarding...I am not sure with Barcelona. Generally the people who are in concierge and higher categories get assigned a little earlier boarding time. HOWEVER...that being said... If you are in B2 or lower and you show up early, they won't stop you from boarding if there's not a long line of "preferred" passengers. Your room may not be ready. But you'll be able to have a light lunch in Horizons. (By the way....our first buffet lunch on board was disappointing. I think they have to do such a fast turn around, that they don't put the detail in that first lunch that they will in all the others. So don't worry if you aren't impressed....it will DEFINITELY get better. THe first dinner on board was wonderful....as were all the other meals )

You will have a wonderful time. There are lots of really knowledgeable O cruisers here that will help with any of your Med cruise questions. So ask away. We are planning one for 2009. Can't wait!

Congratulations on your marriage!

By the way, my DH and I just LOVE Charleston. Have visited twice. You have quite a gem of a city.

I have a small correction: The buffet restaurant is the Terrace, aft on Deck 9, not Horizons on Deck 10 forward. In the evening, the Terrace becomes Tapas.

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise? That can be a good source of information for certain ports, as can the Ports of Call forums.

-Sukey-

I have a small correction: The buffet restaurant is the Terrace, aft on Deck 9, not Horizons on Deck 10 forward. In the evening, the Terrace becomes Tapas.

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise? That can be a good source of information for certain ports, as can the Ports of Call forums.

-Sukey-

Yes! I stand corrected. Thanks for correcting that for the OP.

Thanks a lot..now I am not confused..we did not know that Terrace "changes" into Tapas and thought they were two different ones..yes, we are on the roll call and have booked several shore excursions with new friends! We haven't even been yet and are already contemplating another O cruise for 2009!! S.

Yes..we are lucky to live in Charleston..we are actually out by the beach, but getting ready to help with the downtown Garden Tours starting in about 10 days!! If you come back, let us know!

Archived