Bike down Haleakala?

rosiemannc

What's the update on biking down Haleakala? I tried to book an excursion through NCL but was told it was no longer available. I don't need the sunrise but i want to visit the summit & bike down. Has anyone been recently that can give me any suggestions? We cruise Pride of Amer 4/19.:confused:

What's the update on biking down Haleakala? I tried to book an excursion through NCL but was told it was no longer available. I don't need the sunrise but i want to visit the summit & bike down. Has anyone been recently that can give me any suggestions? We cruise Pride of Amer 4/19.:confused:

http://www.govisithawaii.com/2007/11/05/haleakala-downhill-bike-tour-update/

Someone Passed this to me,i'll do the same. This is from November,though.

• Administrators

Here's a link to the company we used last July for our sunrise tour, followed by a bike ride down from the summit (a combo no longer offered due to park service restrictions). http://adventuremaui.com/biking_the_volcano.htm

They are current and update frequently what they can and can't do. Basically they take you to the summit for a view, take you by van down lower, and then let you bike down from that point (outside the national park boundaries). Note that this tour is VERY popular and the price is up a LOT from when we did it last July. The good news is that this tour allows you to begin bike riding about at the point where I felt comfy doing so on our trip last summer -- I had too much lightheadedness at the summit, so waited until we got lower. And I still biked 20+ miles and felt very proud and like I'd done something cool.

If you don't want the sunrise tour the day tour has a better price point and I'm sure still offers a lot of fun.

Hope this helps. :)

• Administrators
i want to do this on day 2 - do you think we will be ok going outside of ncl to book this excursion?

We were ok doing that, no trouble at all. In fact, with the sunrise tour, we left the ship at 2:30 am (summer sunrise time had to be factored in) and we were back onboard the ship by 11:30 AM or so and spent that afternoon sunning by the pool and checking out the ship. The above site was wonderful for us -- we used them on day 1 as well, for the Road to Hana tour we took. I highly recommend them, and I'm sure they can answer any timing issues/concerns you might have.

Archived