Youth Snorkeling ages 5 and 9 - Thoughts?

ShakenNotStirred

Still on the fence about snorkeling with my very active 5 and 3/4 yo boy. The 9yo is a fish and she can snorkel and swim better than I can. Our boy can swim unassisted but not for an extended time or distance. I was going to get a dry snorkel, float vest and kids mask for some pool practice first but only if this undertaking is even possible. I am also uncertain about the availability of fins for him at beach rentals, however his may be small enough to take with us in the checked baggage.

We'll be in St. Thomas and St. Martin and I am checking on age restrictions as well for both the Carnival excursions and the private operators just to see if it is even worth getting him to the pool. So far, not a lot on age restrictions except the booze cruise and casual snorkels where 12 or 13 seems to be the minimum. Not really the kind of snorkeling I was thinking about (booze and snorkeling...hmmm), so no problem there. Otherwise most of the age minimums are a mystery.

The alternative is just to hit a great beach with some proximate snorkeling and if the seas are calm, then break out the gear and go for a little exploring close to shore with him right next to me.

Any thoughts or recommendations for operators, successes, age minimums or a "what...are you crazy?" would be helpful. Cheers and thanks in advance!

We plan on taking our active, 1 month shy of 5 year old at the time of the cruise snorkeling. He's already a decent swimmer in the pool (he's been taking lessons since he was about 9 months) and will only be better a year from now I imagine. We bought a US Diver's Kids Mask and fin set at Costco and it only set us back $25 or so. I think that it is decent quality and the fins are quite a bit smaller than the ones for the adults. I wouln't hesitate to pack them, but they will take up a little room in the suitcase. He's treid out the set minus the fins in the pool a couple of times. We'll have to work in the fins because he doesn't like having them on his feet. He thinks its really cool! In the ocean, it should be easier to swim as the salt water helps with boyancy.

So, I don't think that you're crazy. However, I may have a different opinion after our cruise. :)

we took our 9yr and 7 yr old snorkling. They loved it. We bought them each a snorkle set at Sam's club for $25. They wore lifejackets, and when they got a little tired we would hold their hands and help them along. Plus, the saltwater will keep them bouyant.

Our kids have been snorkling on our land vacations for several years now (they are 10 and 7). On most tours we have found they have boogie boards with windows for the little ones to use, they still have the snorkle gear/life jacket on but they can be towed around by Mum or Dad (or very helpful tour operators!!:D ), paddle the flippers etc..but not get tired.

Mum, Dad or tour operator gets tired but not the kidlet!!;)

On the kids first cruise in November we found the same thing. We did a snorkle trip on Grand Turk, we brought the kids snorkle gear and our 7 year old used the boogie board and got pulled around. He's a good little swimmer but would get tired too easily and want to get out of the water.

He was happy as he saw a big barracuda, a stingray and lots of little fish. We were happy because we got to stay in the water.

Have a great cruise!!:)

Cindra

Most of the Carnival snorkel excursions have 6 as an age limit, that I've seen anyway.

I've scouted out some independant and highly recommended tour operators for snorkeling on our trip. I plan on slowly introducing snorkeling to my kids (who are going to be 6 and 10 on our trip) but also plan on snorkeling where they can touch until they're comfortable with the whole process.

My 10 and 8 year old have been snorkeling for 4 years. They love it. They have done it all over the carribean and FLORIDA KEYS. The first time was a bit crazy in Cozemel. Scary in fact! The boat dropped us off and went away. We had a guide, but he was with all the others too. The little guy got stung on the face by a jellyfish. He was crying and I had to hold him for a while. It was hard. He calmed down and we caught up with the others. He now leads the way when we go out. Looking back, I wished I would have asked if the boat stayed close. I may not have done it if I knew they left you like they did.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been teaching swimming for years. I have a 9yr old, a 5yr old and a 2yr old. I wouldn't take my 5yr old. That being said, I would have taken my 9yr old when he was 5yrs old. My 9yr old is much more agressive, yet smaller. My 5yr old is not as strong of a swimmer and I don't think idea would appeal to him, let alone my worries about his floating away in the currents.

It's certainly up to you, but maybe you get off the boat at a port ahead of the "possible" snorkel expedition and see how he likes it. Just my suggestion. I don't think most 5yr olds are strong enough swimmers to snorkel, with waves or currents.

Archived