Those who know fishing out of Anchorage

morebeaches

I will be going in August 2009, 4 days before my tour begins. I am interested in fishing for Silvers and possibly sockeye, close enough to the ocean so they are still fresh and good eating. I have looked at guides out of Matsu Valley and a couple of fly-out lodges out of Anchorage that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?

I will be going in August 2009, 4 days before my tour begins. I am interested in fishing for Silvers and possibly sockeye, close enough to the ocean so they are still fresh and good eating. I have looked at guides out of Matsu Valley and a couple of fly-out lodges out of Anchorage that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?

Why don't you just drive south towards Homer???? You can fish the Kenai or further south, FREE fishing at the "old fishing hole" in Homer. You need a license and can rent poles at the store across the road, but no guide needed.

You can also hire a guide to fish out of the rivers around Homer. Will cost you about $160.00 for the entire day. DH uses this guy his first day in Alaska to get the lay of the land for a new season. Then he just goes himself the rest of the time. http://www.silverfinguides.com/index.html

NO need to spring for an expensive fly in trip. Lots of opportunities to fish close to the ocean either free or pretty darn cheap. Please be aware that shipping fish costs about $5.25 per pound to the lower 48. If you need further help, please post.

The Silver Salmon Derby in Seward is usually scheduled for the first half of August - a couple of scenic hours in the rental car and you're good to go. There are shore fishing as well as charter boat operations aplenty.

Thanks for the quick response. I should include a little more detail. I am doing a cruise/tour that starts out of Fairbanks, we are planning on taking the train out of Anchorage to Fairbanks. So travel time to Homer is a concern, although I do like the philosophy of silverfin guides. I do know I could potentially take the train from Seward to Anchorage the night before going to Fairbanks. I really would prefer shore fishing with spinning tackle or a combination of shore and boat fishing, also a place that gives me the "wilderness" experience. As far as eating, my ideal dream is a shore lunch of salmon we caught in the morning or at least a very fresh salmon dinner or 2. I am interested in sending some home, but a limited amount. I suppose my question would be what are the expected drive times from Anchorage to Homer, and Homer to Seward?

ANC to Homer-about 5 hours with stops

Seward to Homer-about 3 hours

To enjoy your meal-go to Homer-rent a condo at Land's End Lodges and cook your own salmon on the beach. We co-own one of the condos and do this every time we are in Homer. You can fish all around the Homer area-lots of wilderness.

http://www.landsendlodges.com/

One big thing to think of-fishing poles and all the stuff you need to go fishing if you go on your own. Licenses can be obtained online. But poles, bait, hooks, etc. are another consideration. I don't know anyplace to rent poles in Seward. There may be someplace.

But I do know that the little store across from the Homer fishing hole rents poles and sells bait and hooks. They are also a WEALTH of knowledge about local fishing conditions. DH spends time in there almost every day finding out what's new with conditions and changing bait.

MAKE SURE you read the Alaska rules if you go on your own. Certain areas are sometimes embargoed and certain hooks/bait are only allowed at certain times. But there is nothing like DH fishing Deep Creek/Ninilchik (north of Homer 45 miles), bringing the fish cleaned and ready to cook back to the condo. Sitting on the deck watching the fishing fleet come in and cooking our own fish is a great end to a day.

Enjoy!!!

Archived