on board photo shop?

macka

I was considering not taking my laptop this trip, I usually save from my compact flash card, onto my laptop, and then for double insurance, onto a memory stick.

As an alternative, is there anything onboard a princess ship that could burn, say a cd?

I've got two 1Gb compact flash cards but at full resolution, it won't be enough space to store 3 weeks of snaps.

Digital Foci, www.digitalfoci.com, sells their 'Photosafe' with a 40GB HD for around $139. It's small and light, and all you have to do is stick a full memory card into it and push a button. It has a rechargable lithium battery, a small monochrome screen that displays battery charge, space left and transfer status, and takes almost every type of memory card. I love it.

There are various other companies that produce these devices, Epson, Jobo, and Sanho, to name a few. They are available with monochrome lcd screens that just display the device status (the cheapest), or with color screens that you can view the pictures on (Expensive!) with drives from 40GB to 120GB.

They are worth the price regardless because a lost, stolen, or damaged laptop can definitely be a bummer (we all know the room safes are great for storing laptops right...:rolleyes: )

Another option get larger memory cards, but that might cost more that the Photosafe.

Those prices for CD burning are crazy and with 1GB per card that's about 2cds per card, and chances are they are not decent quality CD's which means you would be better off getting a portable drive or taking the laptop.

$25 is outrageous, and as you say, I may as well buy more memory at that price. The photosafe is a great idea, particularly as I take a a point and shoot with a smaller card. (Nikon coolpix)

I might just take the laptop, it's a really small one so not too much of a problem really. I was looking to save space but I may as well take it.

Thanks for you great advice again.

Paul.

Archived