Beach snorkeling in Labadee

IndyCruiser65

Can anyone tell me if there's any decent snorkeling off any of the beaches in Labadee? Any excuse to get wet and float around looking at the ocean bottom is good, considering they have no SCUBA in Labadee.

Do you really have to rent a flotation device to snorkel there? I can't imagine that I have to wear a floatie to snorkel, but I can swim freely. Do they really monitor it closely?

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if there's any decent snorkeling off any of the beaches in Labadee? Any excuse to get wet and float around looking at the ocean bottom is good, considering they have no SCUBA in Labadee.

Do you really have to rent a flotation device to snorkel there? I can't imagine that I have to wear a floatie to snorkel, but I can swim freely. Do they really monitor it closely?

Thanks.

Not really, no and no.

The bay/calm side beaches are the only place you'd be able to see anything, the rougher surf side on Dragon's Breath Beach has too many crashing waves. But in general, in the areas marked for swimming we didn't see much of anything and, and the sand under the water is so fine that just walking along in the water kicks it up and screws up your visibility. However, if you are brave enough to wander beyond the marked off swimming areas I did hear from some people that there was visibility there, tho still not a heck of a lot to see. Worth a try tho'. We didn't wear any float/vests b'c it's all pretty shallow water in that area.

Enjoy Labadee!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:) there r 3 beaches to the left when u exit the tender..i told the guy snorkeling! he took us to the 2nd beach..barefoot beach..u do not need anything, the water is crystal clear, i heard there was nothing to see here..i went out to the right, it is very shallow even way out its not very deep along the rocks..they have guys in kayaks just in case. i saw alot of fish, of corse the sargent majors, urchins, grunts and.....i saw an eel swimming on the bottom, glad i had my underwater camera!! it was an snowflake eel, i had seen one on barbados b4 so i knew what it was. never see them out of their homes, kinda cool...so i hovered on him for awhile then i noticed an conch garden. i dont know if the locals clean them adn discard the shells here, but they were not the big ones folks usually eat. but these people r very hungry so who knows? but i asked the kayak guy if i could remove a treasure b/c it was dead, he said sure. there were alot of shells lying around i took 3 conchs for my sunroom. i was pleasantly surprised for sure. mats r $10...the 3rd beach is hideaway..there is a bathroom right there and one of the lunch places too. the 2nd beach i had to walk to hideaway for lunch and its a long line, wear shoes, hot sand!! we had a great time on labadee cant wait to return..took a bag of rice and beans, a few t-bags and bars of soap to leave for the locals..

Archived