timeshare cruise exchange?

I am suprised at some of the comments on this thread which go back several years. We have owned a timeshare in europe for a number of years which we enjoyed, and have exchanged everywhere from Australia, to Thailand and Vegas. Back in 2000 we were asked if we wanted to buy another week on the same resort and we would recieve a free cruise. Well we were celebrating our silver wedding that year and we considering a cruise anyway.

We went ahead and bought the week and took the cruise with International Cruise Exchange. Since then we have used that week to take 7 cruises and always got a cheaper rate than we could have got anywhere.

So we have always been happy with our cruise exchange experience.

However this year I.C.E seem to have been taken over by a company called Platinum Rewards, who gave us 10,000 points to join, but didnt require us to exchange our week. We booked on the Carnival Dreams first cruise out of Civitavecchia this September. There was a small saving but nothing like we have had in the past. We wont be using them again

Like other timeshare owners on this thread from now on we will exchange for a week pre or postcruise instead of just flying in 2 days before and leaving for home straight after, and use a TA or book via the internet

• 2 weeks later...
I am suprised at some of the comments on this thread which go back several years. We have owned a timeshare in europe for a number of years which we enjoyed, and have exchanged everywhere from Australia, to Thailand and Vegas. Back in 2000 we were asked if we wanted to buy another week on the same resort and we would recieve a free cruise. Well we were celebrating our silver wedding that year and we considering a cruise anyway.

We went ahead and bought the week and took the cruise with International Cruise Exchange. Since then we have used that week to take 7 cruises and always got a cheaper rate than we could have got anywhere.

So we have always been happy with our cruise exchange experience.

However this year I.C.E seem to have been taken over by a company called Platinum Rewards, who gave us 10,000 points to join, but didnt require us to exchange our week. We booked on the Carnival Dreams first cruise out of Civitavecchia this September. There was a small saving but nothing like we have had in the past. We wont be using them again

Like other timeshare owners on this thread from now on we will exchange for a week pre or postcruise instead of just flying in 2 days before and leaving for home straight after, and use a TA or book via the internet

Your lucky

My husband and I are owners of a timeshare in Key West and have been members of II for about 11 years. As I am a cruise freak I have checked into exchanging our week in Key West for a cruise and have found it to be no deal at all. I thought that maybe I was missing something but I don't think so. Our maint. fees are close to $1300/year so I don't feel as though trading our week for a cruise in which I still have to pay so much for is a deal at all. I will take my week in beautiful Key West and then shop for cruise deals when ever I can.

I have exchanged my timeshare week for a cruise several times and each time the cost has been less than that quoted for the cruise alone.

maybe tho this might be because us non us customers can't seem to get the same cut price deals that the americans get. So my advice compare and go with the best ones.

• 2 weeks later...

We own 2 Marriott weeks - the two times I checked into cruise exchange through II I found I could book the cruise myself for less than the "addition cost". But with Marriott points you can trad 145,000 points for a $1000 cruise certificate through cruises only - good on any cruise.

We own with both RCI and II. In both cases, we have found that exchanging is not worth it. BUT, we have found that exchanging throug the timeshare company can be worth it....

Our RCI timeshare is Wyndham. We own lots of points and this year ended up with about 300K unused. I just booked a 7 day cruise out of Miami (january 2) on the Carnival Liberty for myself and two kids (hubby has to work) for all our remaining points and about $600 out of pocket for port fees, taxes and insurance.

Our II timeshare is Marriott. As another commenter mentioned, if you trade your week for points (can only do that if you buy from Marriott, not on open market) you can exchange for a $1000 cruise cert from Cruises Only for abou 145K points. I used it for a cruise this year. Cruises Only was wonderful; they have a special Marriott desk, as I remember.

Best,

Kathryn

Our II timeshare is Marriott. As another commenter mentioned, if you trade your week for points (can only do that if you buy from Marriott, not on open market) you can exchange for a $1000 cruise cert from Cruises Only for abou 145K points. I used it for a cruise this year. Cruises Only was wonderful; they have a special Marriott desk, as I remember.

Best,

Kathryn

I booked my upcoming cruise through the Marriott desk at Cruises Only - they have been wonderful - even got a price drop for me after I booked. When the agent at CO couldn't get it to show up on her system she put me on hold and called CCL and had them do it from their end.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info and advice in this thread!

It helps with ideas for future vacations.

I think booking a cruise seperately and then using the timeshare for an extra week added onto your vacation is the best value!

:)

Archived