Pregnant: Do I HAVE to tell them?

PassionFruit

I just found out this week that I'm pregnant. I have a cruise scheduled on NCL in May. I found this statement on the NCL website:

What if I'm pregnant?

NCL will make every effort to accommodate you, providing you have not entered the 24th week of pregnancy when the cruise ends. Please include your cruise details in an email to the Access Desk with a medical certificate establishing your due date prior to your cruise.

Do I HAVE to notify them that I'm pregnant? I will be well ahead of the 24 wk cut off. I don't think I'll even be showing much, and if I am I will be concealing it since we're traveling with family that I don't want to know yet. (My sister is pregnant for the 1st time and I don't want to take anything away from her, so we're being quiet for as long as we can on this one!) I don't expect that I'll need any special accomodations - maybe just an extra dessert! :D So, what do you think....do I have to tell them and risk something being said at embarkation or something that might tip off the rest of the family?

I'm leaving for a cruise on Sunday and I'm pregnant. Carnival has a form that my doctor had to fill out and I had to fax to them before going. I also need to bring the hardcopy with me to the port in case anyone questions how far along I am. I would say you should contact them and get any form they need your doctor to fill out. Otherwise, if you are showing they may not let you board the cruise without documentation of how far along you are.

The only thing I think *may* cause a problem is if God forbid something happened and you didn't have the medical form filled out, that it could void your cruise insurance (if you have cruise insurance) because you didn't disclose your condition to the cruiseline.

But I don't know if thats 100% accurate but it's just a thought.

Congrats by the way! :D

Since you're not near their cut off date for pregnancy, you don't need to tell them anything. If you have cruise insurance, you need to tell the insurance company of your condition in order not to void your policy, but as far as the cruise line is concerned, there's no need for them to know.

When I was in line to board. I was approached by a Royal Carribbean employee and asked "how many weeks along are you?" I had no idea about the 26 or 27 (i forget) cut off. I said 25 1/2 with a big smile. He said oh good, one more week you would have needed a dr's note or I would not have been able to board (I think, it was 4.5 years ago lol).

So I would get a dr's note saying you are good health.

I can definitely get the drs note to have on hand just in case. I'll also call the trip insurance company and tell them. I purchased this separate from the cruise line. I hadn't thought to call them, so thanks for that suggestion!

Just as an added suggestion, please see your doctor right before you leave and have him/her to an internal exam. Let's just say I had "cervical issues". This is the only real risk at the stage you'll be cruising and it's impossible to feel. I was fine so imagine the shock when I was told I may not be able to fly! I did manage it but the doctor wasn't happy...

Blood pressure is also a concern but you would feel symptoms. Honestly, if your bp is good and your cervix well closed, you should be fine! Any symptoms at all and see the ship's doctor. Organize your paperwork so you don't end up in an awkward situation.

Congratulations and have a great time!

I did a Carnival cruise last year at 11 weeks pregnant and nobody said a word to me. I did get cleared by my doc of course, and had a note in case anyone asked, but nobody did. Ditto what Sharon said about having a thorough exam, though.

I cruised when I was 10 weeks pregnant....didn't tell the cruiseline. What made matters worse was that I couldn't even hide it, I ballooned very quickly with that pregnancy. :eek: :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Pregnancy is a pre-existing condition under a travel insurance policy. So, if you buy travel insurance, you need to read the fine print. Some companies cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance at the time of your first trip deposit. However, some exclude pregnancy in any event.

My only concern would be a complication requiring immediate medical attention and perhaps a ship evacuation, something presumably not unlikely in the early months and more likely later in the pregnancy, which is why the cut-off date for sailing.

Ship evacuations can easily cost $20,000 or more. Without insurance coverage, that could be a real financial hardship. Additionally, cruise lines have been known to insist on a ship evacuation, even where a person could have been treated on board, just to avoid any later claims of medical malpractice.

So, best to check with your doctor, buy travel insurance and make sure you buy a policy that covers you for pregnancy. Simply telling the insurer you're pregnant, isn't enough. You must read the fine print in order to get the right policy.

Frankly, having the right travel insurance policy is far more important than worrying about whether you tell the cruise line or not.

I had the doc. give me a note, but otherwise, I didn't tell a soul when I went on my last cruise. I was a bit apprehensive because I was actually past NCL's pregnancy cutoff, which is 24 weeks, I think. But once I got onboard, I saw a woman who was farther along than me!

DH and I took a "babymoon" cruise last March when I was 5 months (forget the exact week of the pregnancy). I did fill out the cruise line's paperwork and drs. note but no one ever asked for any info. when we embarked. In addition to paperwork, drs. notes, etc., one thing that you should consider talking with your OB about is a flu vaccination.

I had never gotten a flu shot before in my life (never had the flu as far as I can tell) and was a bit wary when my OB suggested it. But as she said, my immune system was compromised and I would be in an enclosed place with thousands of other people. Plus, the CDC recommends flu shots for pregnant women. So, I agreed to get it, and I was totally fine, no side effects.

Fortunately neither DH nor I got sick, but we also took lots of precautions (wiped down doorknobs, phone, etc. with Clorox wipes upon arrival in our stateroom, washed our hands frequently and before every meal, etc.) We sailed on the Caribbean Princess and we were impressed by their attention to health safety; all the public bathroom doors were propped open so that you wouldn't have to touch a dirty handle after washing your hands, and there were always attendants at the buffet making sure that people used the Purell before entering.

Have fun and enjoy this time! (Our son is now 8 months old and we are contemplating taking a cruise with him in the summer!)

My sister cruised at 11 weeks. She never said anything. Since she bought the insurance well before she got pregnant, it wasn't a pre-existing condition, and yours probably isn't either. Fortunately, she didn't have any issues. She checked with her doctor beforehand. Her dr advised her to only eat the ship food since the islands don't necessarily have the same preparation standards. Other than that, she told her to have fun. Her little boy is due on May 8.

We'll be going on our babymoon at the end of April and I'll be 20 weeks. I did tell the agent when we booked and will be seeing our Dr next week to get the paperwork done. I'm beyond excited about the endless food and all those deserts!

If you are worried about the check in agent letting something slip you can always check in a couple at a time. Maybe get there early or later so you aren't in line together?

I cruised at 16 weeks pregnant and never slept so well as I did on that cruise. You will lose sleep later in the pregnancy (Moms will know what I'm talking about) and so be thankful for the ocean rocking you to sleep when you're at sea. Plus, all the food your heart and belly desire!! Have fun..

BTW, I cruised Carnival and never said anything about being pregnant.

Went on a cruise when I was about 2-3 months pregnant and didn't know about any DRs note nor was I approached with the 'pregnant' question. It was my second pregnancy and to me I was starting to show already. Never thought it to be an issue that early in pregnancy...

Archived