check rental car bookings often to save

Just thought I'd share a money saving tip I discovered accidentally;

Was trying to modify a California reservation to drop car off 1 day early, at different location. Budget wanted $60 more (crazy?)so I assumed that because I booked early, I had the best rate I could get.
I shopped around, but a new reservation, thru another company would still have been $40 more.
But I checked every few days and rates changed day-to day on Alamo, Dollar, etc. - eventually made a new reservation at same price!
While I was at it, I checked my Hawaii reaervations (5 different for ports & post stay). I was also able to double upgrade (2) rentals for free, and change another, saving $45!! These were both with same original company, just a better rate.
Some modifications involved a coupon, others just a better rate offered online right now.

So go check the rates on your reservations, and keep an eye out for coupons in magazines, or specials advertised on TV etc.!
Save that money for more important things like shore excursions or Pina Coladas. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Tina

Archived