Air Canada or Alaska Air

poohs4me

We are looking for air travel to Vancouver from the Phoenix/Tucson Area and Air Canada is the cheapest. But I have never flown them before, Alaska air is second and I have flown them once about 10 years ago (maybe a little less). Oh, I am only looking at airlines that DO NOT have the extra baggage charge. Since I have no real basis to make the judgement, which airline do you think is better?

I do a lot of flying on AC, and have done AK a few times. In my book, all airlines are bad; it's just that some are worse than others.

That said, AC will be fine as long as nothing goes wrong (weather delays, mechanical, etc.) If it does, be prepared to look after yourself. You won't get much help from AC.

My lesser experience with AK has been good, but I can't comment on how they handle things when they go sideways. I suspect they're pretty much the same as the others, i.e. they don't want to know about you.

I would go for AC if they're the cheapest.

I would go with AC myself. The majority of their fleet has been refurbed with new seats, interiors and inflight entertainment now so I think the ride in back will be better.

As for things going wrong, I call it a wash on that one. AK will probably help you out more in Phoenix, and AC will help out more in Vancouver.

We are looking for air travel to Vancouver from the Phoenix/Tucson Area and Air Canada is the cheapest. But I have never flown them before, Alaska air is second and I have flown them once about 10 years ago (maybe a little less). Oh, I am only looking at airlines that DO NOT have the extra baggage charge. Since I have no real basis to make the judgement, which airline do you think is better?

Actually neither is the cheapest generally. Allegiant Air fly non-stop BLI/Bellingham to IWA/Phoenix/Williams Gateway for insanely cheap prices. Ok, it costs $5 to check a bag, but it's still WAY cheaper. It'll be 400-500$ on AC or AS, but I'm guessing just under $200 on Allegiant. Did I mention parking is a lot cheaper at BLI too?

It doesn't look like Allegiant's schedule is open into September yet. Also, if that Aug 30 cruise is the one you are looking at, Allegiant's flight only arrives in Bellingham at 1220pm on the 30th. They don't have a flight on the 29th. I wouldn't want to try to make it to Vancouver in that time frame.

Archived