Nextel on Carnival

Cruiseforfun1

Called Nextel to set up international usage and was told my Nextel phone would not work on ship or in Panama. I thought I had read that other posters used their Nextels. Any experience with this. Leaving today for Liberty 3/15 cruise.:D

I was a day and a half out to sea from Tampa heading to Cozumel and my Nextel was able to call Germany !! I also have the International usage plan. Good luck !!:D

I know that Spint uses a technology called CDMA which is north american only service and it is not compatable with other cell technolgies outside the US.

We have ATT and had ATT at SEA on our phones. We did not use it due to the cost of $2.41 per minute.

Rebember your on VC and phones are not allowed.:D

Gecko7:)

I have a Sprint Powersource, the cell phone uses Sprint's PCS network, but it also has Nextell Direct Connect.

The PCS system worked on the ship while at seas, the direct connect did not.

In port, Progreso and Cozumel, I had no PCS service, but my Direct Connect worked just fine.

That worked out better anyway since direct connect is always free.

I know that Spint uses a technology called CDMA which is north american only service and it is not compatable with other cell technolgies outside the US.

We have ATT and had ATT at SEA on our phones. We did not use it due to the cost of $2.41 per minute.

Rebember your on VC and phones are not allowed.:D

Gecko7:)

CDMA is available in many countries, Latin America, Bahamas, Caribbean, China, Korea, South America, Canada, India, Israel, Indonesia, New Zealand, and many more.

GSM has more global compatibility, but CDMA is being used in more and more developing countries because GSM has pretty much reached its limit technologically.

If the OP has a dual capabilities, using both the sprint CDMA and the Nextel's IDEN, than it should work on the ship using the CDMA technology.

MAC

I too have sprint, and i made and recieved calls the whole time while crusing to (Atlantic & gulf of mexico) cozumel mexico. so service, def. works, but i was on roaming, I didnt get PCS, but the serivce was A++, just make sure your phone is set to roam and you add the int'l calling plan.

Archived